cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps dropping

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Internet connection keeps dropping

For the last 3 years I have been trying to get PlusNet to take this problem seriously.  After using the internet for a few minutes, the internet connection drops, MS Edge gives me the "Ooops" screen (or the equivalent if I'm using a different browser) and a little yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it appears at the bottom right of my screen for anything up to 45 minutes, while the "circle of death" goes round and round.  When I hover over the yellow triangle with the ! in it, I am told "No internet access".

I have tried 3 different routers (two of them supplied by PlusNet).  Nothing has changed.  This happens whether I am using my desktop, connected directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, or via powerline adapter in another room, using the laptop connected with Wi-Fi, or using a tablet or mobile phone (on Wi-Fi).

I have connected the router to the test socket, I have changed my DNS settings. I have just spent £65 having a new BT-OR Mk 4 phone socket fitted by an electrician - all at the suggestion of PlusNet.

On Thursday last week I was told by PlusNet that this was obviously a fault with the line, and please give three time slots when I will be available for a BT-OR engineer to call.  Having heard nothing, I contacted PN yesterday, to be told this could not have happened as PN do not make these arrangements.  No fault could be found by PN and nothing could be progressed until I tried some check (lo and behold: connect the router to the test socket, and consider paying an electrician to replace the master socket!)  Oh, and I must report all faults using https://faults.plus.net.  This link does  not work!.

Having had the same problem numerous times today, I phoned PN again.  I was told to reset the router, which I did (never tried this before.  It might make a difference!).  I was also told I would be sent an email that would show me how to rectify the problem.  I have just received the email:  It has instruction on how to change to Wi-Fi channel!  

I am getting sick and tired of being fobbed off by PlusNet for a rubbish service.  Admittedly, when I first signed up in 2010, the service was good (or maybe it just seemed that way after years with TalkTalk!!!).  

Please, someone at PlusNet:  Take this problem seriously!  Give me a stable internet connection, or it's goodbye time!

24 REPLIES 24
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

I'm really sorry to see this. 

I noticed straight away that you have the wrong link to report faults. Apologies if we gave you that, it should be http://faults.plus.net (note no s after http). 

Please try and report the fault using that. Feel free to reply back here when you have and I'll pick it up for you.

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

HI Adam

Thanks for your reply.  Following the link above just gives me this:

Broadband Troubleshooter - Error

There's been a problem

Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help.

masive39
Hooked

hello I've just read your message on PlusNet forum about your internet connection keep dropping just asking did you get it sorted if yes what was done .? 

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi masive39

Just had an email saying thanks for raising a fault (someone must have done it on my behalf, because I still can't get the link to work!)  PlusNet have told me that the problem "will be looked into by our dedicated faults team to carry out extensive testing over the next 2-5 days."  Yawn!

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

And still I wait!

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

PlusNet advise me that they have reset the SNR at the exchange.  An still my internet access disappears for 20 minutes this evening while I am trying to book a holiday!  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Testing your line isn't showing any issues and the connection between your router and the exchange seems stable.

Do your devices drop the connection all at the same time?

Also, do any of the lights on the router change when the connection drops?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi Gandalf

No lights go out or flash on the router (including old SpeedTouch 585, and my previous PN router which was a SpeedTouch 585 by another name).  Never had a problem with the phone connection, but every now and again, the Internet access fails.  On the desktop and laptop (WIN 10) I get the yellow triangle with a "!" in it, and "No Internet access".  On the Sky+ box I get something like "Failed internet connection", and on phone and tablets (Android), it just stops in its tracks!  As I said previously, I have tried the test socket; I have tried numerous filters; I have paid to have a new BT-OR Mk. 4 (2017 version) dual socket with built in filter, fitted.  I would go for fibre broadband if it was available in this part of SE London/Kent, but it's not!  The problem has been ongoing for about 3 years now, and has recently got a lot worse.  When I originally reported it, PN sent me a new router (which I had to pay p&p on, of course!).  It is now driving me nuts, as I cannot do anything like book holidays, or even the weekly shop without the internet failing on me!

Pank

I have exactly the same problem with you my friend. Plusnet checked the line and didn't find any problem. I run a program PingPlotter and i saw that i had packet loss. I send them the picture and they basically ignore me and close the ticket and then asked me to open another ticket! To basically report the problem again!!! I presented them fact that I have packet loss and they didn't even bothered to investigate it further. I asked them to escalate the issue and they said they did and I will hear from them today which surprise surprise didn't happen. I was in bt for years without any problem and I made the mistake to move to plusnet and i am paying all these weeks for an under par service. I feel that the don't care about their customers and their reputation the way they handle the incident
Izzyandollie

My plus net broadband is the worst I have ever had. When it works it's continually dropping out and stops working more often than not.
For the 3rd time in 2 months I have no internet connection. After being on hold for over 30 mins each time you are told there is a fault and will get an engineer to look within 4 days!
I have told them the service is appalling and I no longer want to pay for a service I'm not receiving. Have contacted the ombudsman about the service and hopefully they will resolve it.
My contract runs until April 2018 and I think the only option is to cancel the direct debit and I'm sure they will want to contact me then.
They should also be prosecuted under the trade discrimination act for their claim of award winning customer service. Wake up plus net it's garbage and never again will o use this joke service.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

@ SludgeIsland is that the same for all 3 routers including the new one?

@Pank Can you drop my colleague Matthew a reply here please? 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Internet-drops-continuously/m-p/1499357 

@Izzyandollie Sorry to see there's an issue. However engineers have worked on that today and the issue should be fixed now. Please let us know if not. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi Adam

In answer to your question, the problem occurs on all three routers.  Exactly the same!  Never used to happen on TalkTalk (BT line with LLU) prior to PlusNet (October 2010).  I used to have the router connected to an extension phone socket, and that initially got the blame for the problem.  I moved it to the master socket, using wifi.  That did the same.  Now it is through a TP Link powerline adapter most of the time, but I have also used a LONG Ethernet cable, as I would feel silly moving the desktop nest to the front door!

Makes no difference however it's connected.  Sky+ does the same (through another TP Link powerline) and so does laptop through wifi from the router. 

Started getting noticeable about 3 years ago, and progressively worse.  PlusNet replaced my router about 2 years ago.  Still the same. 

Regarding Pank's comment above, one of your guys mentioned Packet Loss about 6 months ago, if that helps.  He described it as "pushing stuff down a tube, but when you push too much of it in one go, it gets bunged up!"  He adjusted SNR and said it would probably do the trick.  It did for a few days, then reverted back to how it was.

Izzyandollie

After 5 days to rectify the issue again the broadband I receive when it works is totally hit and miss. It continually freezes and wish I'd never heard of Plusnet.
The claim of "award winning customer service" is beyond belief when you have had the unfortunate need to contact them.
Over the last 2 months we have been without internet for 16 days and not once has anyone had the decency to apologise or offer anything to compensate for the issue.
I am awaiting their response to my complaint through the ombudsman and hopefully the contract will be terminated immediately. It's disgusting the way they treat customers with contempt and reading some of these forums it's a commonly occurring problem.
Izzyandollie

We seem to be in the same boat my friend.
I'm sick of being ignored so have contacted the ombudsman as I used them years ago in a case with orange mobile and got it sorted out to my satisfaction.
It may make you feel better to make a similar complaint but it's so infuriating on hold to be fobbed off by someone who knows nothing about what you're telling them.

Anyway good luck in resolving your issues.