cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps dropping

Seapadders

Internet connection keeps dropping

Hi,

I’ve been having this issue since I moved to Plusnet but I’ve only just got round to querying it.

My connection drops out quite frequently. I’ve tested this on multiple devices (IPhone, Smart TV and Xbox) and it happens across the board so I’ve ruled out that the device is at fault.

For example, I’ll be playing Xbox Live and mid game I’ll lose connection to host whilst all my friends stay connected and I’m the only one that gets kicked.
Another is I’ll be playing a game on my IPhone and will have to restart it as it loses connection to the game server.

I’ve tried resetting my router, swapping out my micro filter and all that other stuff and it hasn’t helped. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
ayreshome

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

unfortunately suffering the same problem - been with Plusnet for a couple of months after many years reliable broadband through BT. Plusnet was ok for a few weeks but has been getting worse and the internet has dropped out numerous times this evening - very frustrating when trying to work. 

phone support is quoting >30 minutes and live chat unavailable 😞

SludgeIsland
Rising Star

Hi Seapadders

I've been having this problem for the best part of three years now.  I have been fobbed off with it being my equipment; I have tried 3 different routers; I have changed filters; I have used the test socket; I have been advised to change my Wi-Fi channel (I'm not connected by Wi-Fi at the moment - and it doesn't make any difference what connection I am using); I have paid an electrician to replace my master socket.  I have been told to supply 3 time slots for an engineer to call, which PlusNet later denied asking for.

Don't hold your breath waiting for PlusNet to do something about it.  You will just get more and more frustrated thinking they will help, then get put back to square one and start all over again.  You know the answer!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Testing your line isn't finding any issues and the connection from your router to the cabinet seems stable:

Are all your devices connecting over WiFi, or some using an ethernet connection?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here.

@ayreshome

Your connection doesn't look too good over the past few days.

Testing your line isn't finding the cause of that, so I'd run through the troubleshooting here and report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net if you still experience problems.

@SludgeIsland

I've replied to your thread over here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Seapadders

Thanks for getting back to me.

That certainly seems strange, I’m using a wireless connection with my phone but a wired connection with the Xbox and TV. I’d edge towards it possibly being the devices themselves but I never had any issues with my previous provider.

I’ll see if the problem persists over the next week or two and get back to you if there’s still an issue.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, I'd take a look at the checks here for the WiFi devices: https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ayreshome

Thanks for the reply Gandalf - the connection has been good for the last 24 hours but i'll follow the trouble shooting link next time i have a problem

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hopefully it will continue to work OK for you Smiley. Please let us know if you have anymore issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team