Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps dropping out

jezzab
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Internet connection keeps dropping out

My internet connection keeps dropping out. Have recently fitted a new phone which may be causing the problem?

Router is a Sagemcom 2704n firmware 

7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet

My wife needs to use a good broadband service to work from home and this is making her job impossible.

Help!

9 REPLIES 9
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping out

Hi @jezzab

Sorry to hear that. I am having issues with finding your account. If I was able to find correct one, fault was already raised and this is fault ticket on your account. Engineer was already there today so everything should be working fine. Please get back in touch if there are still any problems.

If this is not your ticket, can you please send me Private Message with your username so I will be able to test your line?

Please accept apologies for this inconvenience.

Dawnq

I'm having same problem, and its been ongoing for months. New master socket, wiring outside yet it's happening again. Can't  get through to Plusnet to report this.

addl1bandscore
Hooked

Mines been dropping out a lot recently too but we’ve not changed anything with our phone or broadband for months. We go from great speed to zero and back several times a day. 

pink8915

I've been with plusnet since 1st April (I know!), and over last month had no issues. However, today my router has dropped out twice, both times solid then flashing main orange light, and flashing lower orange light. Any ideas please? Getting racked off already.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

@Dawnq , @addl1bandscore , @pink8915 Just as a point of note 'piggybacking' on someone else's thread is not a good idea, or good forum etiquette. It also means that your problem can get 'lost'.

You would be better starting your own topic (click 'start a topic' at the top of the board) and try and give a little more detail - that way, other forum members (customers) may be able to help and relieve a bit of the load on PN staff.

John
addl1bandscore
Hooked

I did, on Friday, but no one from Plus Net (or customers) replied yet. Call me old fashioned but I would prefer to talk to someone. I am trying this forum because they’ve shut all customer service phones and chat...

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting in touch @Dawnq and I'm sorry to hear you've had further connection issues as of recent. I'm happy ot say however when looking into your connection today the drops you look to have had seem to have stopped around Friday afternoon. I'd advise to monitor the connection moving forwards and by all means if you notice the drops return let us know and we'll happily investigate this further for you.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @pink8915, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. Looking from this side I can see the number of drops which have been occurring per day which certainly hint something is out of place somewhere.
Our testing however isn't detecting any underlying faults so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://goo.gl/T5OxaT

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting in touch @addl1bandscore  and I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. Checking over your connection I can see the speeds and connection to your router currently all look spot on with no drops in connection showing in the last 32 days. Can I ask then, the issues you're having with performance and connection, is this solely when on wireless devices? I ask as wireless interference could very well explain  why everything is looking spot on from our side to the router but why you're having issues getting a solid performance to wireless devices.
If it sounds like wireless interference could be in play then I'd recommend going through my guide below on how best to optimsie your wireless settings to best suit your property which hopefully should help.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal.
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.
Let us know how it goes.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Tag fixed.