cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection drops on incoming phone call.

Fifer
Grafter

Internet connection drops on incoming phone call.

Hi
I first noticed this after a new NTE5 master socket was fitted by BT on 19th August. The connection drops very briefly when the phone rings and their is a large increase in the upstream Bit Error Rate in the router ADSL stats.  I've had two different phones, two routers, router in the test socket with no phone connected and still the same. The incoming drop wire was replaced when a new pole was erected at the bottom of my garden approx 2 to 3 years ago and comes into my loft space into a small white connector in the loft, the only thing that was not renewed was the cable from the small connector to the master socket in the upstairs bedroom, this cable is approx 5 to 6 mtrs in length and must be over 25 years old.  As this is BT's side of the master socket is it up to them to replace this? and could this be the cause of this fault?
I only get on average 1 to 2 calls a day so sometimes i never notice these drops except in the increase in Bit Errors in the router stats. The router log  does not show any drops in connection as it seems to reconnect very quickly. No noise heard on the  BT 17070 quiet line test.
Could someone from PlusNet check my line and see if this shows any fault?? 
Any advice from anybody would be appreciated as my knowledge of this is limited.
Ron
23 REPLIES 23
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Internet connection drops on incoming phone call.

there will be a fault somewhere, however when i had it there was an internal fault (either filter or internal cabling).
if it still does it when router is connected to the test socket then clearly the fault is external.
raise a fault ticket.
Fifer
Grafter

The router was in the test socket on a new XF-1e ADSL Nation filter so that should rule out the filter side of it. the only cabling that could be causing this is the cable to the master socket from the drop line.  I'll wait and see if any fault  shows if PlusNet can do any checks on the line before raising a fault.
Ron
chenks76
All Star

well it doesn't rule out that the new filter is also faulty, however when using the test socket you shouldn't need to use a filter if it's only the router connected direct to the test socket.
raising the fault ticket will get PN to check the line.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I believe that this can also be caused by a faulty splitter card in the exchange.
Suggest you raise a disconnection issue here - http://faults.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fifer
Grafter

I will try the test socket again with another new filter of the same type (bought two when trying to eliminate this fault) or should i try it without a filter?
@chenks76  are you saying i can use the test socket without a filter, with a BT to RJ11 cable to the router.
If the fault is still there after this it looks as if i will have to raise a fault
Ron
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ron,
The new NTE 5 fitted by BT - does that have a VDSL (filter) face plate or just a phone socket on the lower removable plate?
Are there any extensions?
If there are no extensions and there is no VDSL face plate then using the test socket is not going to make any material difference.
If there is either, you can eliminate both by removing the lower face plate and the VDSL filter plate, then put a 'dongle' type filter into the test socket.
Note if there is a VDSL faceplate, the socket immediately behind the lower plate will be filtered for phone use only.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fifer
Grafter

There is no VDSL faceplate just a standard NTE5 with the removable part on the bottom, there is one hardwired extension which i have eliminated by removing the lower part of the NTE5 and connecting to the test socket with a filter to the router. The results with or without the extension connected are the same. A large increase in upstream Bit Errors and very brief drop in the connection
Ron
chenks76
All Star

line fault then.... raise a fault ticket.
DanHodby
Grafter

Hey Ron,
I've taken a look at your line, there's a couple of things that could be causing the drops. The first one I'm thinking is the SNR margin currently on the line is 3db which could be too low and can be causing the drops when the phone calls come in.
The other option is that like a few people have already said, its an external fault at the exchange.
I'd like to try increasing your SNR slightly first as this is a simple and quick fix for you. If you can monitor this over the next 12 hours and let me know if theres been any improvement. If not we'll get an engineer out.
Dan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ron,
Can you please post your router stats?  They will give some indication of what's happening on your line.  If it is the TG router, you can find the required data here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0
Kevin

Fifer
Grafter

Hi Dan
The line just dropped at 18.00 hours and reconnected again,there was a message on the phone saying Line Error Please Check.  This was you checking the line i presume , was wondering what was going on but that was the reason for the drop.
If you could raise the SNR slightly to see if this would help it is certainly worth trying this.
I will monitor this over the next 12 hours and see if this helps.
I can see from the stats that the SNR has been raised to 6 so i will keep an eye on this for the next 12 hours
The BIT errors are now at Zero so i will keep a check on this as well.
@Townman  Router Stats

Statistics -- xDSL
Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 59 60
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 250 108
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 0 125
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 18,372 1,252

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 17,491 1,255 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 51 12 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 207 38 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 3 4 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.3799 0.9873 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 4380 316 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0 0 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.00 0.00 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 0 0 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 6,450 82 0 0
RS Words: 0 903,466 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 24,567 86 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 9,190,855 645,140 0 0
Data Cells: 870 1,412 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 3,161 54
Total SES: 58 0
Total UAS: 351 351
Ron
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Ron,
The synch speed is in the right ball park for your line's attenuation when running at 6dB.  Which is very good news as it points to the line being reasonably OK.
It should though no drop on inbound calls.
Will RouterStats run with your router?  Might be helpful to have 24x7 SNRM monitoring.
Kevin

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To jump in here
Your symptoms are identical to ones I had a while back although mine was more serious in that the upstream sync could drop as low as 128kbps when resynching during the phone call
Changing the line card didn't sort it so in the end  the BT Engineer moved my to a different line from the exchange to the cab where the same problem didn't happen (I lost about 800kbps downstream in the move but given the rotten state of the interconnectors from the exchange to the cab that couldn't be helped)
I could see the effect when phoning in using my mobile with no phones connected and using the test socket
Fifer
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
I am using a TP-LINK  TD8968 router, I don't know if the full RouterStats would work with this but i have the Lite version on the laptop.. I could run this to see if it shows anything on the SNR graph. I tried this recently and phoned the landline from my mobile and the Noise Margin graph didn't show any drops at all.
Does RouterStats need the computer to be on all the time or will it still record if it is in sleep mode?  I'm not really very clued up on these things.
@ Oldjim  I see the Bit Errors jump when i phone from my mobile as well but it doesn't seem to affect the Noise Margin and only causes brief drops in the connection.
Ron