Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Very Slow/ Nearly Unusable

chris2005
Grafter

Internet Very Slow/ Nearly Unusable

Hi,
Over the last week my internet has become very slow.
I have 3 computers each one connected directly to the router using Ethernet cables and the router is connected to the phone line with no extension cables.
I seem to be only able to use one computer at a time with slow speeds , if I connect any other computer it is just unusable.
Everything had been working fine until this point and nothing has been changed on my system.
I have also turned off the wireless part of my router which seemed to speed things up a little.
I have checked all ip addresses and nothing is clashing.
Regards
Chris

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet Very Slow/ Nearly Unusable

I've just checked your account and your line seems to connect at around 2.5mb so using all three simultaneously will naturally lead to slowdowns. However if you can only use one at a time there may be another issue at play.
Could you perform a speed test here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ to see how the connection is performing. Do bear in mind the service issues we're experiencing at the mo so do wait until we've advised that's been resolved first, updates re that will be posted here: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chris2005
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I seem to be able to load the browser quickly but when I click on a website it takes for ever to open,
If I keep refreshing the page eventually it opens.
when I do a speed test everything seems to be fine,
I have tried a different router and the problem is the same.

BT have recently installed a new dsl socket could this be causing the problem?
Regards
Chris
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If your speed test's are fine then it's not going to be an issue with your connection. What firewall and antivirus software do you use?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chris2005
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I have been using avast anti virus which I have now uninstalled as I thought it may have been causing the problem and installed microsoft security.
But my internet is still takes ages to open pages.
If I cahnge my DNS settings to this
Broadband and Dial-up DNS
Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50
It works great for a while then after a few hours everything starts going slow again, then if I change the router settings for auto dns things speed up again but only for a few hours.
I just dont know what could be causing the problem.
Regards
Chris
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A couple more things to try in that case, if you do have a spare router I'd try that first. Also you could try specifying the DNS as google's default servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chris2005
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I have tried the google settings but it makes no difference .
Here are my router stats.

System Up Time 21:13:32
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 28497 16215 0 5782 4939 00:05:16
LAN 10M/100M 2594819 3033117 0 34649 5376 21:13:29
WLAN 11M/54M 195263 126147 0 2889 218 21:13:19
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3488 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 13 db
Noise Margin 10 db 15 db
Regards
Chris
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks from our logs like up until a day or so ago there were a fair few short connections on your line - was this down to you rebooting the router in order to fix the issues you mention above?
Just wondering if things have been improved as your latest connection has been ongoing for over 24 hours and the line profile is at an acceptable level?
chris2005
Grafter

Hi Matt ,
My internet seems to be up and down,
yesterday it worked great all evening but this evening it is terrible and takes ages to load up a page.
I just cant understand what is wrong.
A while ago I had to help a BT engineer that that had got stuck on the grass verge near my home, I was telling him about the problems I have been having on and off, he said that a lot of the boxes on the poles on my road have green corroded connections which could be causing my problems.
He was replacing some at the time but he said it might help my connection but there were many more.
I have had some problems recently with the telephone in my home also , when I picked up the phone I could hear other people speaking and if I rang my home number I got through to a different house but this problem was fixed .
I will have to get something sorted soon as I am trying to start a small business and my internet is very important to me.
Please see what you can do for me as I am pulling my hair out here.
Regards
Chris
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chris,
With you mentioning the issue with the phone I would certainly raise a fault. The automated checks that run when you raise one will detect if there are any phone issues and pass it to the phone faults team to be looked into.
Jojo Smiley