cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Rapidly changing/dropping frequently...

AndrewMC1994

Internet Speed Rapidly changing/dropping frequently...

Hi,

Our router keeps losing its connection numerous times a day plus when downloading or trying to upload something the speeds seem to be all over the place until it gradually drops and the broadband just seems to disconnect for a couple of minutes.

I have tried resetting the router and switching channels still having issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
pekem
Hooked

Re: Internet Speed Rapidly changing/dropping frequently...

Hi,
I am suffering the same experience. It is really annoying.
My concern is that Plusnet tell me that they are happy to send an engineer but if the fault is in my home the I will have to pay £60.
Supposing it is the router which I bought from Plusnet?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @AndrewMC1994

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your broadband.

I've tested your broadband and the connection is looking pretty unstable. Not been able to identify the cause, though, so I'd recommend getting this raised up to us at http://faults.plus.net

@pekem I've also been testing your broadband. Pretty much the same advice as above, to be honest. Also, if an engineer proves the issue to be your Plusnet router then it's under warranty so we wouldn't pass on a charge to yourself.

The main check I'd recommend for both of you is to connect your router into the test socket (found by unscrewing the faceplate of the master phone socket). If you haven't done already. This effectively bypasses your internal wiring.

I hope this helps

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
pekem
Hooked

And if Ido that what will I discover?
Should I leave it connected?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

If you connect your router into the test socket and the connection is stable then I'd probably recommend leaving it there.

If however the connection continues to drop out then the next step would possibly be to arrange an engineer.

You might have to leave in the test socket for a couple of days to determine if it's stable or not.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
pekem
Hooked

Well I unscrewed the plate at the front only to discover that there isn't another connection port. Have now reconnected it in the same port
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hmm. In that case, we wouldn't be able to fully determine if the problem is caused by your internal wiring.

You could probably either risk the engineer charge, or look into hiring a third party engineer to investigate your internal things first.

AndrewMC1994

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I have plugged my router into the test socket and will test it for a day or so and get back to you with the results.

Thanks!

AndrewMC1994

There doesn't seem to be any difference when using the test socket still disconnects randomly, I suppose that would rule out any internal wiring issues?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yep. Probably best to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and we'll get that looked into.

pekem
Hooked

What region of the country are you in?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm in Sheffield, but I'm assuming you're asking AndrewMC1994?

pekem
Hooked

Yes I wondered if there was a local issue which we are experiencing.
AndrewMC1994

No, wouldn't be a local issue i'm near Belfast, Northern Ireland.

pekem
Hooked

Back to the drawing board then Smiley
As it happens mine has been stable today. I am now thinking that it may be connected to demand/time of day. Yesterday it was on off throughout the day and evening and so far today all fine.