cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Halved?

znissu
Dabbler

Internet Speed Halved?

Hi I normally use an extension socket [different room to master socket] and I usually get similar speeds [Checked at router; down & Up] to my test socket, however I have started receiving only half the download and upload speed on the extension socket.
It's also still fine if I use the faceplate of the master socket (as well as the master socket itself), just half speed on the extension socket.
I have identified that that the micro filters isn't the issue.
However I have discovered: when the phone is in use (when the router is connected to the extension socket & the phone to the main faceplate), the internet loses connection.
I feel that the problem is with the extension socket not isolating the internet and phone...(not sure if it works this way)
Can someone help clarify the issue, I would still like to use this extension socket.
Additional Info:
When connected to the master socket/faceplate:
Line Speed: 19-20MBps (Down) 900-1000kbps (Up)
Line attentuation (db) : 12 (Down) 7 (Up)
When connected to the extension socket:
Line Speed: 6-11MBps (Down) 300-500kbps (Up)
Line attentuation (db): 38 (Down) 38 (Up)

19 REPLIES 19
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet Speed Halved?

There is probably something broken, the extension socket or the wiring to it, considering that the line attenuation is so much higher at the extension socket. Have you checked that a phone works when plugged into the extension socket (via a microfilter)? If the phone doesn't work at the extension socket, then I suppose there might be a break in one of the wires (in the pair) in the cable to the extension socket, or one of the ends of the wires has somehow fallen out if its IDC terminal in the extension socket or at the back of the removable lower front part of the master socket.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It might be worth double checking - Is the extension socket a hard wired one - ie. it's connected to the back of the front plate on the master socket, and that it's not a plug-in type plugging into the master socket?
(Welcome to the forum by the way).
znissu
Dabbler

I've checked the extension socket (really old one) and given it a quick wipe cause it was filthy (could do we another wipe) and just put pressure on the wires as they looked like they were in.

I am now getting normal readings on the router status page

Line Speed: 19-20MBps (Down) 900-1000kbps (Up)
Line attentuation (db) : 12 (Down) 7 (Up)

but the speed still seems quite slow, not getting more than 6mbps in real usage.

I've attached a picture of the internal wiring at the extension end (I'm no expert but it doesn't look good/clean), does it need a new socket?
Anotherone
Champion

There's a lot of corrosion there, it must be quite damp in that vicinity or it's really really old! I certainly have a suggestion for your to improve things.
Have you got something like an old tooth brush? And I hope you didn't push down with an implement into the middle of the terminals, that might open the jaws of the terminal and give a bad connection.
As far as the slow speed, if your sync speed went really down, the IP Profile will have as well, and then your Current Line speed (Login required) will have followed. Although the profile will have gone back up with the sync speed, the Current Line Speed will take some time to get updated as well. I'll post more in a moment.
Anotherone
Champion

I've studied that photo carefully  and there's corrosion on the socket terminals as well. It would be best to replace it, they are fairly cheap. But you need an IDC tool to fit the wires properly. There are some good cheap ones about but there are some rip-off priced plastic ones as well. Let me look around and see what's the best current deals and I'll post back later. What will help is if you can tell me what local stores you have easy access to eg. B&Q, Maplin, Homebase, Argos etc.etc. Do you buy on Amazon and/or eBay at all?
Also the picture of your socket tells me the bell wire is connected (terminal 3) - no need of it in a broadband setup. Can you have a look at the connections on the back of the master socket removable front plate and take a picture. Your Internet will drop when you remove the front plate, it would be best if you pulled the modem/router power plug before you did that, so it doesn't look like a bad connection to the exchange in view of what's already happened.
znissu
Dabbler

Thank you Anotherone, the socket does look really 'unhealthy' lol.
I have access to all B&Q, Maplin, Homebase, Argos and I do buy from online (ebay & amazon included). Your help is much appreciated  Smiley
Ye, I noticed the bell wire and was suspect to whether it should actually be there.
I had a look at the connections at the master and the connection looks fine there, thats been looked at by a few different technicians where as the extension socket hasn't.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, as you know about the bell-wire, that should be pulled out of terminal 3 at the master socket front plate and not refitted on a new secondary/extension socket.
I'll post a few suggestions later. Need to get some coffee and such.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, forgot to ask is that a larger socket 86x86mm (same size as master,and as a light switch etc) or is it the smaller 68x68mm?
znissu
Dabbler

Smaller sized socket
Anotherone
Champion

One of these IDC Tools still seems the best value as there is still free postage and it's cheaper than the nasty plastic tools that a lot of DIY stores sell for a lot more and don't last 2 minutes.
A Secondary Socket such as that seems adequate for the job. Should you buy one from anywhere else, ensure that it is NOT a Master socket with capacitor etc fitted. Also IDC terminals are better than screw terminals (believe it or not!).
HTH.
znissu
Dabbler

Thanks Anotherone, thats really helpful! I'll get these ordered!
I had question regarding the IP profile, my master socket also seems to be giving slow speeds (around 6mbps but the sync speed is close to 19-20mbps), any ideas on how long it takes for the IP profile to reset and give me my 'usual' Line Speed.
Anotherone
Champion

The BT IP profile should have gone back up immediately your sync speed improved. Run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. That'll give you your IP Profile which should be around 17Mbps or just below based on your last speed report, BUT your Current Line speed (Login required) has to update to the same (upto 0.1Mbps below it) that should have happened but may not have. (Don't post your phone number).
PS. If you are moving the modem/router between sockets, don't just unplug it from the line, the exchange DLM will regard it as a dropped connection. Too many in a short time-frame and it'll raise the Target SNRM or Band the sync speed.  If you haven't got an interface logging into it where you can click Disconnect, then wait 30 seconds and then Power down, just pull the Power plug. Wait about a minute before unplugging from the line. (For anyone that's got a dropping connection, stay off for at least 10 minutes.).
Edit:Minor typos.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Both profiles are now at around 17.2 so the OP should be seeing better speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
znissu
Dabbler

I'm still seeing reduced speeds of around 5-6mbps (sync speed around 17-19mbps), I'll test with master socket shortly.