Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Problem

Reddog
Grafter

Internet Problem

Hi,
Since yesterday my connection keeps dropping and then can't reconnect sometimes.
I have no idea why all of a sudden this is happening, its been really stable for months.
The IP address lease 192.168.0.2 for the Network Card with network address 001D7DA46B44 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
I have alot of these in my Event log, which i have no idea why.
I have done lots of things to try fix this.
Virus/spyware scans
Uninstall/reinstall network drivers
Swapped inline filters and tried with the PN Thompson 585 router aswell.
Tried with Win firewall off.
So is there a PN problem or is this likely to be my end?  although i havent done anything to my system resently, only update FF to 3.5.2.
Router log is mainly a big list of   LCP down up,down,up,down.
My pings and Tracerts look ok or nornal, but the ramdom drops is worrying.
Any ideas or help please...
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet Problem

Could it be there is a fault on the connection between your router and your computer?  This might explain the messages in the event log.  It looks perhaps as if your network card thinks it has lost the connection whilst the router thinks it is still there.
Edit: Oh but reading your message more carefully the LCP up/down messages would (I think) indicate that your router is losing its internet connection if this is happening frequently.  Check the timings as LCP up/down messages might be the only events that get into the router log.
Reddog
Grafter

I cleared the log but yea was up and down alot of times over a short period.
Then it would be ok for a hour or so then it would go down again and not get back on for a while.
I will C&P the log when and if it happens again.
Reddog
Grafter

oh btw this is from about an hour ago (18:00) gmt.
Sun, 2002-09-08 13:01:07 - LCP down.
As you can see the time and date on the router is wrong,  would that cause problems?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The wrong time and date should not cause problems.  Routers typically pick up the time from the computer or a time server but yours has never done this; it will depend on the router defaults. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Reddog,
Up until about 5pm last night (you've been connected since then without any drops) I can see an awful lot of disconnections. Was there anything new added to the phone line? Is it still dropping, and if so does it do it with just the router plugged into the master socket and everything else unplugged from the phone line?