cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Outage in November. Poor Connection ever since.

FIXED
Paula7
Grafter

Internet Outage in November. Poor Connection ever since.

I had an internet outage on 22/11/21 and red lights on the router for over 24 hours (which I reported). Next day all lights were back to green but ever since, I have very poor internet connection.

I can access some websites but others don't load at all.

For example BBC and Google are fine but it is hit and miss whether I can access Plusnet (sits on the loading screen), similarly with Facebook (I can see the first post but can't scroll down or read any comments).  I couldn't access the payment screen for my road tax (gov.uk), or see my shopping basket to pay for items at superdrug.co.uk.  After two weeks of trying to access my car insurance (doesn't get pass the logging in process) I finally did on Saturday but not since...

Some websites that I can intermittently access, keep prompting me to use their "lite" versions for slow internet connections...

All of the above are on a wired connection on my pc.

WiFi speed is worse - I can see bbc website on my phone, but most apps don't load - saying network connection error.  Some websites get to Home Page but fail if you click on anything.

On my smart tv (wireless) I can watch BBC Iplayer with no problems but Netflix just says Network Connection Error when I try and watch anything.

I have now reported this to Plusnet three times, they have put on interleaving (made no difference just meant I couldn't access the one game that I play - which ironically I could before that was put on).  Yesterday, they said they have adjusted some parameters and will monitor the connection but it is not better at all today.  In typing this message, an error message keeps flashing up (and then disappearing) saying unable to complete the action you requested, which I assume is the same issue with connection.

Things I have tried:

- reset my router, moved the router to main socket, changed the phone cable between socket and router, changed the ethernet cable between router and pc, set up an old router (same issues) so reverted back to plusnet router, updated the network adapter driver, 

Speed Tests all show a good speed and all of the lights are green on the router.

There were no changes in my setup prior to the internet outage in November - so surely this must be a problem on PlusNet side? given that I had no problems until the internet outage...

Getting very frustrated with this now - so hoping someone on the forum can offer advice.

Now the error message has disappeared - I better hit post quick before it appears again 😉 No luck -froze when hit post.  Had to copy and paste text and restart browser to try again.

Thanks, Paula

62 REPLIES 62
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Internet Outage in November. Poor Connection ever since.

Hello @Paula7

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your internet connection. I've tested your line this morning, and can't seem to find any underlying faults with the though something called the MTBE (mean time between errors) appears to be quite low. I can see that we've recently modified your broadband profile from "standard" to "stable", this order would have completed yesterday. Have you noticed an improvement with your service at all?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Paula7
Grafter

Hi Adam, thanks for replying.  Afraid no improvement at all - although the speedtests come back a bit higher than before.

I still can't connect to most sites.

I've just noticed that the router stats I posted yesterday aren't showing so I will do that again for you in case that helps.

(My profile says I have made two posts but guess the second one was a victim to my connection issue...)

Would you know the cause of the outage in November? Perhaps that would be a clue to what is wrong?

Thanks, Paula

Paula7
Grafter

1 - Product name:

Plusnet Router

2 - Serial number:

N7181911B002869 

3 - Firmware version:

7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet

4 - Board version:

F@ST2704N

5 - Mode

ADSL

6 - Uptime:

0 days 18:26:09

7 - Data rate:

1107/10444

8 - Maximum data rate:

1108/11236

9 - Noise margin:

6.1/3.4

10 - Line attenuation:

25.6/43.5

12 - Data sent/received:

82.8M/337.2M

20 - Broadband username:

21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:

22 - Wi-Fi connections:

Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled

23 - Wi-Fi security:

WPA2

24 - Wi-Fi channel:

Automatic (Smart Wireless)

25 - Firewall:

26 - MAC Address:

d8:7d:7f:68:44:ca

27 - Software variant

Version 1.0

28 - Boot loader:

Paula7
Grafter

This was yesterdays router stats that I thought I had already posted.

It also took me 8 attempts to post my reply just now - everytime I hit post - I can see at the bottom of the screen that it says waiting for the plusnet community server but all the buttons stay grey and nothing happens.  I restart the browser and try again.

I have just run namebench aswell in case that helps (results attached)

Whilst that seemed to run ok, it has taken me many many attempts to get back into this forum over the past two hours and get the reply, then the post buttons to work, as they just appear to time-out when trying to connect.

- Poss silly q but am I right in assuming that this can't be a pc fault (given the problems with wireless on my phone and tv aswell)? It must be either a router or line fault?

Thanks, Paula
Paula7
Grafter

Just noticed that Chrome says my IP address is in London... quite a way away - could that be a clue?

Is there a way of getting an event log or something to show the failed timeout connections to websites.  Happy to run diagnostics if someone can let me know what to do?

Thanks, Paula

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Paula7, thanks for getting back to us and for the information. I am really sorry for the issues that you have been experiencing with the issues with your service and disruption caused.

I have tested the line again today and to mirror what Adam advised, it's not highlighting anything that may be causing this; we are seeing a good sync speed, no errors and it also looks like your IP has changed a few times over the last week so that's unlikely to be the cause.

There does however, look to have been quite a few drops on the line over the last week (see image below). The drop yesterday and today can be accounted for by the tests we have ran our side, but have you noticed the other drops on your side or are these from you resetting the router?

Given the issue is affecting both wired and wireless connections, it started after an outage and the other steps we have tried to help with this haven't resolved the issue, I think the next step would be to look at sending an engineer out to look at this further. I have updated your fault ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221177413. If you add a reply give us a nudge on here and we can pick this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

What do the DNS response duration graphs look like?

Have you altered the DNS settings in either the router or the PC device?

Are you using parental safeguarding?

The issues you describe sound like DNS resolution problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Paula7
Grafter

Hi @LaurenB - thanks for taking a look. Yes the couple of drops over the past few weeks will be from me resetting the router.  The failure to connect to websites happens about 90% of the time I am online, but the pc always shows I am online and the router lights are all fine... I have responsed to the ticket with my availability for the engineer.

Hi @Townman Yes, I thought it was a DNS issue hence why I ran NameBench tests but all appear to be fine. Attached is the Namebench graphs (if that is what you mean... sorry networking is not my expertise...)

Yes, I did try altering the DNS settings a few times in December to try and fix the issue, but have subsequently put them all back to Automatic. No I don't use parental safeguarding (and I have checked my account to make sure it is not on - it isn't)

If you spot anything wrong please let me know... grateful for any help 😉

Paula7
Grafter

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Paula7, thanks for getting back to us.

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection issues.

Before we arrange an engineer visit, I've made a further change to increase the signal to noise ratio margin (SNRM) target from 3dB to 6dB, as there may be background noise on the line that'll be affecting your broadband connection.

Can you let me know if things are better now? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Paula7
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf 

Sorry, I am afraid I am still experiencing the same issues (although it does seem quicker on the websites that I can use...)

Last night I tried another factory reset on the router (and then turned it off until this afternoon). I then "forgot" the wireless network on both my phone and tv, and then rejoined them to the wireless ... still no luck.

Wired connection to pc still has several websites say waiting for [insert website].... and then just stops as though I hadn't clicked the link.

I have just run a quiet line test from the test socket - no audible sound at all.

I've also run a number of virus scans but nothing found.

Not that it helps with diagnosis but please see attached a blurry picture of my Netflix connection test on my tv (wireless).  Showing an internet speed but a network connection error.

I am going to ask a neighbour if I can borrow another router to test, as the one I used to test previously was very old. It will probably be a few days for me to co-ordinate my work shifts with theirs, so I will keep the engineer visit on pause whilst I rule that out.

If you, or anyone else has any other suggestions... would be greatly received.

Thanks, Paula

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

I would doubt that there is an issue with the router, however using a router which allows continuous monitoring using the ilk of RouterStats (see below) might offer insight to what is happening. Progress might be made here if you can lay your handed on a Plusnet Hub One or a BT HH5a - they are essentially the same and there is a special version of routerstats which will clearly indicate what is happening on the line.

Any router which will support response to external pings will facilitate some degree of external responsiveness testing using Think Broadband’s BQM tool though given you are on a dynamic IP address you will need to keep changing the BQM settings when the IP address changes. Given the expertise you’ve already shown here, neither of these tools should be too taxing. As ever if you need guidance, just ask.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @Paula7 and I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with the service. Just to clarify, is your landline service working as you'd expect it to in other areas? I know you'd said that the quiet line test came back with zero audible sound, which is good, but I just wanted to make sure I've not misunderstood the reason for carrying out that test in the first place Smiley

On the router front, I think that would be a good idea. Please let us know how it goes and if you need any help setting up the router. It's important to note that whilst a lot of 3rd party independent routers will be compatible with our network, 3rd party routers from other ISP's (specifically non-BT owned ISP's) may be locked down onto their own networks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Paula7
Grafter

Hi all,

So I have now (hopefully!) got a Qube Engineer booked for Tuesday to investigate my set-up.

Unfortunately no-one had a spare router and I couldn't think of anything else to try.

@Townman - thanks for your input as always. Am hoping the Qube Engineer will have the equipment to carry out the testing you mention.

@TheMightyAJ - the landline service has been fine.  I only carried out the quiet line test because Gandalf advised that it could be background noise so I thought I would have a listen.

Please can a member of staff please confirm that the engineer is still booked? I have just received this email

"During the investigation of your reported fault we asked you to complete some steps to help us diagnose the problem. You have reported that you are unable to do so.  As such, we're unable to continue the investigation so have had to close the query."

As I have tested everything I can think of (and have already booked the engineer with a member of your team), I am unsure why I have received this... I certainly haven't reported that I am unable to do any steps requested.

I very much hope the engineer will still be attending and that my open fault has not been closed.

Thanks, Paula