cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Gateway

cdplane
Dabbler

Internet Gateway

I have been having trouble with my connection since I joined Plus 2 weeks ago. I was fine this morning so I canceled the BT engineer visit. Can't justify £144.00 bill. Tonight the problem is still there bu I now have 2 connections. One lan connection and one internet Gateway. Can someone help. I think I have gone mad. Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Internet Gateway

Internet gateway is usually your router and appears for some routers. I had this with my Netgear DG834 and is nothing to worry about.
Your PCs connection is still only using the Lan Network Connection.
cdplane
Dabbler

Ok, Thanks for that. I have located a setting which I have changed from Home or Small business to Always on. Is this the same thing as in power management? I cannot find a power management tab.
decomplexity
Rising Star

The Internet Gateway 'connectoid' appears in Control Panel / Networks Connections when you have the UPnP* discovery service switched on and it has correctly discovered your router. This is absolutely normal.
You should then also have an 'screen' icon called 'Netgear DG834' in My Network Places / Local Network
If you intend to use MSN Messenger 'whiteboarding' or remote assistance or some other third-part services which need router ports opened on the fly, you need UPnP. If not, it is more secure to disable it using:
Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / scroll down to SSDP Discovery Service / double click / change Startup Type to "Disabled" and hit OK. If you want, you can do the same thing for the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service.
(And while you are there, also disable the service called 'Messenger' - which has nothing to do with Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger)

* - Universal Plug and Play; nothing whatever do do with the more usual Plug and Play for adaptor cards and USB devices
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Merlin
Grafter

There's an even easier way of disbling UnPlug and Play (UNP) using Steve Gibson's utility at
http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm