cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Drops

rogersouthern
Dabbler

Internet Drops

Every now and again, my internet cuts out. When I log into the router to see what's up it says that we have no broadband service or just shows the normal home screen, but with the internet section showing offline, with an connect button next to it. Sometimes it gives a reason as to why it cuts of (timeout) but normally doesn't. Clicking 'Connect' works most of the time but sometimes I need to reboot the whole thing which always fixes it but takes a while. I have checked the DSL cable and it is all plugged in and fine.
Router: Technicolor TG582n
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Internet Drops

There isn't a timeout on your Internet connection at the Plusnet end; my record is over 1000 hours connection time.  There isn't a timeout at your end unless you fiddle with the router settings.  The default (for all routers except a few very old ones) is to keep the connection alive, so to automatically reconnect if the connection is accidentally dropped.
I suggest you reset the router to its factory state then if the problem persists (i.e. if the router fails to reconnect the internet connection if accidentally dropped) then you can be certain your router is faulty and needs to be replaced.
rogersouthern
Dabbler

Thanks
rogersouthern
Dabbler

Reset it, but just as I configured my DNS settings (as I pressed the submit button for the settings) the internet dropped again, this time it gave me lots of 503 errors trying to log into the router. I will disable DNS and see what happens.
rogersouthern
Dabbler

DNS makes no difference, still goes offline but more frequently than before I reset it, and now with longer down time and accessing the router via a browser it hopeless, the only surefire way to get on is via telnet. I will contact PlusNet support and ask for a new router.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see we've requested a replacement for you, hope it sorts things out - please let us know either way.