Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Down For 4 Hours Yesterday

theograham1612
Grafter

Internet Down For 4 Hours Yesterday

Hey guys Smiley
So yesterday my internet went down for 3 hours yesterday and I was told my Plusnet it happened to a lot of customers, I think he called it a pipe drop or something, anyway he told me to power off my router AND modem for an hour, I just want to make sure that my speed won't be affected as the last time I turned off my modem I lost 13Mb download and 9Mb upload, I just don't want it to happen again.
Also is there anyway to get an engineer to go to my exchange and do a line reset so I can get my old speed back please.
Theo
15 REPLIES 15
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Internet Down For 4 Hours Yesterday

You shouldn't have been advised to power off your modem - absolutely no need. You can leave it powered on, the outage affected the authentication side of things.
Your speeds should return to normal once you've got reconnected, which I assume you have already Smiley
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Chris
You shouldn't have been advised to power off your modem - absolutely no need. You can leave it powered on, the outage affected the authentication side of things.

With respect, it seems PN need to get their info changed on sites like this :
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial
It advises us to switch off the router for about 5 mins and then to turn it back on again.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, that's the router, not the modem, they are two different pieces of equipment.
A Modem is used for Fibre which controls the connection between the Cabinet and your Modem so..
Fibre: Router > Modem > Cabinet > Exchange > Plusnet (effectively)
ADSL: Router > Exchange > Plusnet (You do still connect to a cabinet but it doesn't control your connection as such)
So what we were trying to advise is, power off your router but NOT your Modem if you have a Fibre Optic service with us.
TORPC
Grafter

Perhaps, in due course, an amendment on the site to reflect on this, as to alleviate any more confusion may be in order Wink
It is surprising how many people get a modem mixed up with a router
picbits
Rising Star

I often refer to the modem as a router by accident and have to go back and correct.
Easily done.
theograham1612
Grafter

Yes I've reconnected  Smiley
Just wish I wasn't told to power off the modem as well, seems like something the support agent shouldn't have told me, I did tell him I didn't want to as I didn't want my speed affected as it already has been but he told me it would be fine, I wouldn't lose out on any speed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad you're back up and running. I'll ensure that feedback is sent so we're more accurate when supplying such advice.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Fibre: Router > Modem > Cabinet > Exchange > Plusnet (effectively)
ADSL: Router > modem > [Cabinet >] Exchange > Plusnet

ADSL definitely will not work without the modulator/demodulator hardware that is the modem Shocked Roll_eyes
Quote from: DomS
I often refer to the modem as a router by accident and have to go back and correct.

...and most people refer to a combined modem/router as a router.
Surely, the advice for both ADSL and FTTC should be to "log in to the router and disconnect the PPPoA/PPPoE session......." since a modem/router is essentially two devices in one box and power cycling should not be necessary Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
fp
Grafter

Glad you're back up and running. I'll ensure that feedback is sent so we're more accurate when supplying such advice.

I think 'simple' and definitive advice would be welcome.   To clarify, for example:
a) Whether you can switch your (technicolor) router off as many times a day as you like and it will not (or will) affect your speed.
b) How you can switch your router off without affecting your speed e.g. the power switch on the router, the mains switch, or through the browser and then power off - perhaps having waiting a (short) period of time.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think you've taken what I've said too literally.
For the basis of support, I was trying to explain the differences between ADSL and FTTC given the hardware that is provided on such services. So I'm not adding in the modem for ADSL to save confusion. (I'm well aware that for ADSL, modems are built into routers)
Most people do refer to their router as their modem, but as I said, for the basis of this thread, I wanted to explain the differences in hardware between the two difference services.
For ADSL, you can log into your router and hit disconnect, but if you've been affected by a Major Outage such as last night, what would be the point? You've already been disconnected. Switching the router off would be of benefit until we resolve the issue, purely because it stops the router from attempting to authenticate, we don;t want that to happen during an outage as BT's RADIUS will just block your attempts after a certain amount, which causes problems when trying to reconnect once the problem has been resolved.
With regards to FTTC, switching your router off or dropping the authentication via the router doesn't really make a difference since it won;t drop sync and therefore won't touch DLM. As above though, if you're affected you'll have already lost your PPP session anyway.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: fp

I think 'simple' and definitive advice would be welcome.   To clarify, for example:
a) Whether you can switch your (technicolor) router off as many times a day as you like and it will not (or will) affect your speed.
b) How you can switch your router off without affecting your speed e.g. the power switch on the router, the mains switch, or through the browser and then power off - perhaps having waiting a (short) period of time.

If you are on ADSL, then no, avoid switching your router off.
If you're on Fibre, you can do it as much as you like effectively as it doesn't touch DLM, therefore won't make any changes to your line as a result
The best way to gracefully disconnect is to log into your router and hit the disconnect button and then power down your router. In my opinion, if you're restarting your router as a one-off, I'd just do it, it's not going to affect your line as a one-off.
TORPC
Grafter

+1
Cheers Chriss
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Linksys called their old WAG-54G a Wireless ADSL Gateway as it was, at the time the only modem/router in it's range, which I thought was a good idea.
Then I discovered Plusnet's gateways and decided there would be confusion in the ranks.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TORPC
Grafter

Talktalks are just the same tbh
as they call it a modem/ router