Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection keeps Dropping

Minxymoo
Grafter

Re: Internet Connection keeps Dropping

Thanks for that. 
Can I ask should I still be able to recieve phone calls if the router is plugged into the test socket with a micro fileter?
James
Grafter

Yes - You shouldn't have any problems making and receiving phone calls.
Are you saying that you are?
Minxymoo
Grafter

Yes phone line now isnt working
James
Grafter

That's because you're using the test socket Smiley
Using the test socket isolates all of your internal wiring.  You may aswell put the faceplate back on the socket and use it normally.
Minxymoo
Grafter

I'm confused as I asked that question and you said I should be able to still make calls.
I will remove from test socket and put face plate back on
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got the phone line pluged into the filter in the test socket?  that should work
Minxymoo
Grafter

Yes, phone line is plugged into filter in the test socket along with router.  I'm assuming I can only have one working at a time?
James
Grafter

Sorry - I should have been clearer.
You should be able to make and receive phonecalls when your broadband is turned on.  But if you are using the test socket for your router and have your phones connected to a different socket, they won't work.
Minxymoo
Grafter

Thanks I understand now.  I'm a bit slow sometimes. Smiley
Minxymoo
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Thanks Charley.
I've just ordered a router for you to borrow.  It should be with you in 2-3 days.

Hi Jameseh
Great service Router arrived today.  Smiley
Couple of questions:
If the router still drops and I try it again in the test socket and it drops there as well then I presume the problem is with the line and not the router?
If the new router solves the problem what happens as obviously this new router has only been given to us on loan?
crusto
Grafter

Hi Charley,
Ive been having a very similar problem to yours which I have just sorted out. Every now and then I would lose my connection, sometimes very frequently, sometimes not at all. On one occasion it happened whilst I was on the phone....Thats when I stopped blaming plusnet  Roll_eyes
I did all the usual master socket test etc etc and it turned out to be a line fault. And this is where the fun started. BT were a total waste of time, they missed 4 out of 6 appointments. And when they did turn up, because the fault was so intermittent, they failed to find it. I could go into the ins and outs but i dont want to bore you, id be here for hours!
Anyway, my wife eventually noticed a pattern. It only seemed to happen in during bad weather, especially windy weather. My incoming line passes through a large tree. Every time the wind picked up the swaying branches were dislodging my line from the box on the pole. Obviously BT werent going to accept this without proof. So we re-booked them and sure enough, upon climbing the pole the engineer discovered the fault. Just by giving the line a little tweak while i was on the phone! That simple  >:(.
One new incoming line later and, like I said, its all working fine now. It might be worth having  a look around and noting conditions etc etc when your problems occur. you never know, you could be in the same boat as I was.
Good luck.
Minxymoo
Grafter

Hi Crusto
Your problem does sound very similar to us and surprising our line also runs through a tree!! 
The last time we had the problem we were convinced it was a line fault rather than a broadband fault (as could hardly make phone calls due to line noise) so contacted BT first instead of Plusnet.  BT did come out and for some reason the guy from BT didn't really seem to believe anything I was telling him, this started from where the master socket was to having had a line fault before which resulted in the line being replace (it was being eaten by Squirrels!!).  He did check the line outside and said there was nothing wrong with it and told us it was not a line fault but a broadband fault and we were to contact Plusnet.  This call out cost us over £100!!
We contacted Plusnet who arranged for BT to come out again and surprising it was the same guy!!  He fiddled about with the master socket replaced the cover and told us it was fixed but did say don't know how as I've not really done anything (his words)!!  I was not over impressed with the guy and don't think he really knew where the fault was and did not want to spend a long time trying to fix it.  He told us to contact his mobile the next day if we had problems but when we did he told us to contact Plusnet again.  Oddly it then settled down until now.
It is so frustrating as we seem to have this on going problem, which gets resolved for a few months and then starts again. (This will be the 3rd time)  There is obviously a problem somewhere with the way the line has been set up and wired up which is causing an intermittent problem and they are unable to figure out what it is.  So with this being the case I really want BT to come out and completely replace the line and master socket but I doubt they will do that.
I'm glad you have been lucky enough to get yours sorted.  Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi Charley,
If the router does solve the problem and you wanted to keep it, we'd request a nominal fee (£20), unless the old router was one that we had sent you and it died within the first year.
If the line still drops with the new router, it will indicate that it is a problem outside of your control and we would raise it with BT.
Minxymoo
Grafter

I've noticed with the plusnet value that you get a free wireless router (paying postage costs) would we be entitled to this? We moved from one of the other packages to value or is the free router only for new customers?
crusto
Grafter

Quote from: Charley
Hi Crusto
Your problem does sound very similar to us and surprising our line also runs through a tree!! 
The last time we had the problem we were convinced it was a line fault rather than a broadband fault (as could hardly make phone calls due to line noise) so contacted BT first instead of Plusnet.  BT did come out and for some reason the guy from BT didn't really seem to believe anything I was telling him, this started from where the master socket was to having had a line fault before which resulted in the line being replace (it was being eaten by Squirrels!!).  He did check the line outside and said there was nothing wrong with it and told us it was not a line fault but a broadband fault and we were to contact Plusnet.  This call out cost us over £100!!
We contacted Plusnet who arranged for BT to come out again and surprising it was the same guy!!  He fiddled about with the master socket replaced the cover and told us it was fixed but did say don't know how as I've not really done anything (his words)!!  I was not over impressed with the guy and don't think he really knew where the fault was and did not want to spend a long time trying to fix it.  He told us to contact his mobile the next day if we had problems but when we did he told us to contact Plusnet again.  Oddly it then settled down until now.
It is so frustrating as we seem to have this on going problem, which gets resolved for a few months and then starts again. (This will be the 3rd time)  There is obviously a problem somewhere with the way the line has been set up and wired up which is causing an intermittent problem and they are unable to figure out what it is.  So with this being the case I really want BT to come out and completely replace the line and master socket but I doubt they will do that.
I'm glad you have been lucky enough to get yours sorted.  Smiley

Charley, if the problem persists with your new router and it turns out to be a line fault. Make sure you get your money back from BT. They are a bunch of rob dogs and most of their engineers are dis-interested. They are always looking to do as little as possible and they will do all they can to blame, and therefore charge the customer. The easy option as always. If my wife hadnt noticed the pattern with bad weather im 99.9% certain that I would still be having problems now. BT had zero input when it came to finding the fault.
Good luck.