cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection keeps Dropping

Minxymoo
Grafter

Internet Connection keeps Dropping

Having problems again with internet connection dropping.  We have had this a few times in the past and a couple of months ago had Open Reach out to look at problem who did say yes there is a problem but don't know what's causing it!!  Guy fiddled about took face plate off main socket fiddled about and then said it seems to be working again  but did say "not that I've really done much".
Broadband worked fine for couple of months but over last few weeks connection has started periodically dropping usually a few times a day.  Since yesterday its been dropping loads!! and has even lost broadband and user name on configuration manager for router which is a BT voyager 210 ADSL router. 
I guess my question is is the problem with the router (purchased from plusnet) if its losing the details or is a line problem which needs looked at again?
Any help appreciated.
34 REPLIES 34
Minxymoo
Grafter

Re: Internet Connection keeps Dropping

Angry  I've lost count now of how many times the connection has been lost tonight, it must be over 20 times. 
Mand
Grafter

It's worth trying another router. Any chance you can borrow one for a short while?
Minxymoo
Grafter

No don't know anyone who is willing to give up router.  We had thought of buying a new one but don't want to buy one if its not the router.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Are you currently wired into the master socket via a filter?  Is it possible for you to remove the faceplate from your master socket and to plug the filter into the test socket behind it?  It might also help if you can try using a different filter, just incase the one you have has become faulty.
We can always loan you a router to see if that fixes your connection problems and the above suggestions haven't made any difference.
Minxymoo
Grafter

The filter is new as we bought new ones after the last problem but it made no difference.  I will try plugging filter into test socket and see what happens. 
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

connection keeps dropping like flies for me.  Sad Sad
Minxymoo
Grafter

Have you reported it?  This will be about the 2-3 time for us.  Its so annoying.
mattdanielc
Grafter

I keep losing my connection too - Wednesday night it wouldn't come on at all, until I restarted the router.  I've never had problems with my connection before (been with plus net for almost 2 years now) so don't understand why it's suddenly failing.  Could the router be on it's way out?
Where do we report it?
Cheers
James
Grafter

Hi guys,
To report a fault, you should go to http://faults.plus.net
Before doing so, you should always try to use a different microfilter, router (if possible) and try testing your connection directly into the test socket behind the master socket faceplate.  If you don't have a newish master socket, you'll need to connect your router directly to the master socket via a filter with all other telephone devices detached.
Minxymoo
Grafter

I have just plugged router into test socket so I will monitor and see how it goes.  Smiley
Couple of questions.
If the connection does not drop then is the problem within our internal wiring?
If the connection still drops while in the test socket then I presume we have a problem that needs looking at? 
Minxymoo
Grafter

Connection still dropping when router is plugged directly into test socket.  What now?
James
Grafter

Thanks Charley,
Have you been able to try using a different router?  If not, are you able to get hold of one?
If you can't we can send one out on loan.
Minxymoo
Grafter

No I've not been able to get hold of another router to try.
James
Grafter

Thanks Charley.
I've just ordered a router for you to borrow.  It should be with you in 2-3 days.