cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Access Ok, but cannot connect to VPN

fire148

Internet Access Ok, but cannot connect to VPN

My internet access is working ok, but when attempting to connect to my work VPN I the VPN software is unable to establish a connection to the VPN Gateway.
I been in touch with the VPN support team at work and they said that the service is fine and to check that my ISP is not blocking any traffic.
The VPN connectivity was fine until this morning, I have tried 2 different machines and we have gateways all around the world - I cannot connect to any. Both UDP and TCP connections fail.
Any ideas ?
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Internet Access Ok, but cannot connect to VPN

What type of VPN , PPTP or IPSEC ?
and do you have a Thomson TG582n router ? if so check this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102798.0.html
for PPTP you MAY need to
connection unbind application PPTP port 1723
saveall
although that should be ok by default I believe
for IPSec you need to
connection unbind application IKE
saveall

Although ..., if it used to work then neither of those should be an issue. Check your PlusNet firewall setting hasn't changed , it needs to be OFF or LOW

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi fire148,
Everything looks fine from our side, are you still using the same router? Just a few things to check, tracert to your VPN IP address. Make sure the port forwarding within your router are still the same/correct. Make sure your firewall is not blocking it.
I'd also suggest using Wireshark, it captures information about all network activity from your computer and can be used in diagnosing problems you may have with network performance. <a href="http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/">Click here</a> to see here for more information on how to use it. Start wireshark before you start your VPN conenction, you will need to ZIP this file and upload it.

fire148

Thanks for the replies ... the VPN is IPSec.
Performing a TRACERT against several of the VPN gateways, and I just get a timeout at almost random hops ... in some cases the TRACERT did actually reach the destination, but then when I tried to connect to that IP the VPN client failed to connect.
I spoke to the Network support engineer again at the office and he said this is definitely an ISP issue as the timeouts should not occur ?Huh
Any more help warmly accepted ...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you put the tracerts on to the ticket you've raised please?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fire148

Will do. Just popped over to a friend (who is also on PlusNet) and everything works here perfectly.
So either my Router is at fault or there is a fault on my line somewhere ?
The TraceRT from here gives the same results as from my home connection so I dont think they will help.
I have a Belkin Router ... and haven't changed the configuration on it for a long time. There's not that much on the router that can be configured from memory ... but I will go home again and have a root around to see if I can spot anything obvious.
If I had a fault on my line how would I know this ?
Many thanks for the quick replies ...
fire148

Problem solved ! Smiley
The issue was my router ... I had to obtain a Firmware upgrade from here : http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D8232uk4&aid=9278&scid=282
This fixes an issue with using Cisco VPN Version 5 ... after upgrading the connection went straight through.
Thanks for the pointers ... and quick replies.  Smiley