Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal IP address on WAN?

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Internal IP address on WAN?

Around 1:10am this morning, my router (BT HomeHub 2.0b) did one of its fairly regular disconnect/reconnects. I don't usually notice these, as it usually reconnects within a matter of seconds, and I don't lose synch. This time, however, it became obvious that there was a problem; I couldn't get web pages and email and newsgroup servers were unresponsive. I checked my router, which showed me as connected to the internet, and all the lights were their usual fetching shade of blue. I did a soft reset of the router through its interface, and when the connection came back up I was still in the same boat. I took a closer look at the router settings, and noticed my WAN IP address and DNS were... odd...
WAN IP address was 172.16.n.n, and the DNS servers were 62.6.n.n (didn't write them down...)
Now, the 172.16.n.n IP address range is a private one (Class B), and shouldn't be available on the internet. Both primary and secondary DNS were the same. I tried powering the router off for a few minutes, but had the exact same problem when I restarted. Eventually I just gave up, left the router powered on and in synch, but disconnected.
This morning I reconnected, and everything seems to be working OK, and I have actually synched at almost 1Mb more than usual. I don't live in any of the areas affected by last night's outage, and in any case I was always able to connect, just with the oddity in respect of the IP address, and lack of any traffic.
I know Bob Pullen has alluded to a different cause to last night's outage than the originally reported fibre cut, but AFAIK we haven't yet been given the official reason. Has anyone else had similar problems last night, or is it just me?  Huh
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Internal IP address on WAN?

Quote from: Jaggies
I know Bob Pullen has alluded to a different cause to last night's outage than the originally reported fibre cut, but AFAIK we haven't yet been given the official reason. Has anyone else had similar problems last night, or is it just me?  Huh

That's a typical symptom of a major Wholesale service outage and a number of people on Twitter were reporting the same.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

One thing I missed from the list of what I tried last night, was that I connected with bt_test@startup_domain which gave me the same or similar IP address and DNS - it was late at night and I'd had a couple of beers...
I've no intention of joining the Twits, and in any case, it's working fine for now...
itsme
Grafter

Correct as these are BT Wholesale IP's. Actually a rDNS  62.6.x.x  give it as a BT Adastral Park allocation.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Well, I'll just have to wait until we have a definitive answer regarding the source of the problems.  Wink