cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal IP address, DHCP server issues & lack of internet connection.

MOltd

Internal IP address, DHCP server issues & lack of internet connection.

I've been having HUGE problems with local IP addresses & no internet connection.

Main PC (hard wired to router) kept dropping internet connection, as did all other devices in the house (phones, tablets, lights, cameras).

After reserving a range of IP addresses in the DHCP table and manually assigning a static IP address to PC and phone, problem is solved on those devices... BUT all other devices keep dropping off the network.

I've tested by removing the manual IP address for PC and the problem comes back - manually re-assign IP and the problem goes away.

Router has been hard reset and checked with support for latest version, yet problem remains.

This is driving me nuts. Devices are constantly losing connection, unless I manually assign an IP address, which is impractical with so many devices in the house.

Please help, Thank you.

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES 19
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Internal IP address, DHCP server issues & lack of internet connection.

Hi @MOltd

Sorry to hear this is happening. 

Can you confirm if the router is loosing connection to the network whilst the devices loose session, or is the circuit staying connected and the issue is solely isolated to devices in your local network? 

Router has been hard reset and checked with support for latest version, yet problem remains.

Can you confirm the firmware your router is currently running? This can be found by logging into the GUI (192.168.1.254) and looking at the bottom of the homepage. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

MOltd

The route is not losing connection to the network, I can see this because my PC (with a manually assigned IP address locally) stays connected all of the time yet other devices loose connection.

The issue is solely isolated to devices in my network.

thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK @MOltd, thanks for that. 

Could you PM me your username please? I'm finding it difficult to track your account from your Forum details. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that PM @MOltd

I can see that you are currently running Firmware Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. 

I'm going to tag one of our product team below and ask for some guidance; 

@bobpullen - can you possibly advice if anything mentioned in the above has been noticed on the .263 FW?  

Kind Regards, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Main PC (hard wired to router) kept dropping internet connection, as did all other devices in the house (phones, tablets, lights, cameras)

I did have a similar issue too.

All wifi devices started to go 'bananas' on firmware 263 - this is well documented on these forums.

Then oddly had the same with ethernet devices - but no one else on these forums, apart from you, reported the same.

Please use caution, but if you're running a windows computer, if you use regedit and go to this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

do you see multiples of 'network'. I had (oddly) multiples showing 'network',  where I'd expect to see network, network2, 3, 4 and so on.

BUT, I didn't see these multiples until after I dumped discarded the hub one and went to a hub6

IF you not sure, don't go deleting stuff. It's only advice!!

I thought I'd deleted old BT/PN hubs networks, but windows kept them in the above location....?

MOltd

Thank you, the plot thickens… Currently waiting for a response from PN

DS
Seasoned Champion

At least you know you're not alone.

Well, you are now. As I pointed out, moving to a Hub6 'fixed' my issue (but also have another issue, hence trying the H6)

I hope the wait isn't too long - I was going slightly mad in trying to fix mine.

MOltd

any update please @bobpullen or @MasterOfReality ?

This is now driving me NUTS. I've 3 new devices to connect and they just won't stay connected!!!!

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @MOltd 

I've been made aware that this isn't a FW issue - so we can scratch that off the diagnostic list.  My apologies for jumping straight to that thought, it was too quick and too presumptuous, i fear it's just caused extra time to actually fix what's going on. 

Can you let us know if the devices that fall off the WLAN are connecting to the 2.4 or the 5 GHz frequency? Do the drops happen at specific times of day? Are you noticing that the drop outs happen after performing a certain action (either within your Local Network or something as simple as turning on/off a device in the house)? 

Thanks, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

This is now driving me NUTS. I've 3 new devices to connect and they just won't stay connected!!!

Hmm. If it's not the current f/w, you could try this.....

(as it could be an IP conflict)

Take the static assigned IP's off. Disconnect (if it's easy) all devices bar one laptop, connected via ethernet.

Change the routers default 192 IP range to it's other 172 IP range.

Unplug the laptops ethernet cable and plug it back in - check it's now been given a 172 address.

Reconnect/powercycle/air plane mode/whatever all the other devices and check they too are on 172 range.

Make a brew

See if they stay connected.

If not, try splitting the wifi but only connect to 2.4GHz

MOltd

My current home network devices are:

Lan 1:

• Main PC - 1 wired to access 2nd router (DHCP disabled) which is wired to plusnet router
  • chrome book - Wifi to secondary access point (DHCP disabled) which is hard wired to Plusnet router
  • Google home - Wifi to secondary access point (DHCP disabled) which is hard wired to Plusnet router
  • Google home mini - Wifi to secondary access point (DHCP disabled) which is hard wired to Plusnet router
  • 2 X Lifx Lights - Wifi to secondary access point (DHCP disabled) which is hard wired to Plusnet router
  • phone  - Wifi to secondary access point (DHCP disabled) which is hard wired to Plusnet router

Lan 2:

• Nest Camera

Wireless 2.4GHz:

• Huawei media pad
  • LIFX lights X 7
  • Nest Camera X 2

Wireless 5GHz:

• Google Chrome cast

The disconnection happens across all modes of connection. Even if I bypass the second router on my main PC so that it is hardwired into the plusnet router I still loses connection, it is therefore not linked solely to Wi-Fi.

The only reason the main PC remains connected is because I've manually assigned an IP address, If I remove this and allow DHCP then connection drops.

Connections dropping random and not associated to any event that I've been able to discover.

This morning I was trying to connect an additional Lifx light via Wi-Fi to the main plusnet router, I was totally unable to connect until I completely restarted the router, it then connected fine.

I can only see this as a DHCP server issue!

When I spoke to support last week they asked me to hard reset the router, the problems remained.

I then hard reset it again and the problems are still there.

Many thanks

DS
Seasoned Champion

Huh Hang on a mo.....

So you're running 2x routers (y/n)?

If you are, then the second router has DHCP off (y/n)?

But did you move the 2nd off of 192.168.1.254 to something like 192.168.1.245 etc. Or are both on 192.168.1.254?

If you are, then that could be you're your problem...?

Lan1 is the secondary (as in not connected to the phone line)?

Lan2 is the primary (and connected to the phone line)?

Lan1, the primary, should be the one with DHCP enabled

Lan2, the secondary, should have DHCP disabled

(that's how I've currently go both of mine)

I think this is why you connect to one, but not the other....?

Check the above - router 1 DHCP, router 2 no DHCP - both connected via ethernet cable to LAN ports, not WAN port(s)

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @MOltd,

@DS has asked exactly what I would have, could you confirm the exact set up of your local network?

Thank you.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Oh, yeah, would ya!!Roll_eyes

You'd have us back flipping through flaming hoops first!!Azn

Then you might haveWink