cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent speed problems over past few weeks - huge ping and jitter

spleenharvester
Dabbler

Intermittent speed problems over past few weeks - huge ping and jitter

I'd say every 1 in 2 times I go to play online gaming, it is completely unusable.

This is testing via ethernet cable and happens on multiple pieces of hardware so definitely not on our end. It wasn't happening on our old BT line ever, why is it happening now?
Cheers
27 REPLIES 27
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Intermittent speed problems over past few weeks - huge ping and jitter

Hi  please can you post tha stats from your router,  the result from      http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
and the result from the link at the bottom of my post.  Do you have a corded phone - can you try a silent line test 17070 option2

PS  are you the SH on Badcaps?
spleenharvester
Dabbler

Quote from: cedlor
Hi  please can you post tha stats from your router,  the result from      http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
and the result from the link at the bottom of my post.   Do you have a corded phone - can you try a silent line test 17070 option2

PS  are you the SH on Badcaps?

All seems to be working fine now - I'll run the tests if/when it starts happening again.
And yeah that's me, haha. Small world - haven't been by there in a while.
spleenharvester
Dabbler

Bump,  this has been happening again sporadically over the past month or so, sites very slow to resolve. Definitely not WiFi interference as I bought a long ethernet cable to connect to my room.
DL/UL speeds usually test fine but pings often in the 200ms+ range and jitter 10ms+. Same result on a different router. Damn thing just started working again for the first time all night so nothing comes back on tests, but it's been happening sporadically for a while now. (couldn't see anything from the link at the bottom of the post further up either, link just takes me to a place that says "There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.", no tests in sight)
Cheers
cedlor
Grafter

The link on my post should give a reply like this when you log in
Telephone number:
   017*******8
Phone exchange:

Estimated line speed:
   7Mb (This may vary between 4.5Mb and 11Mb) - Checked on 2015-08-26 17:05:18
Current line speed:
   5.8 Mb
There may well be no estimated line speed - Mine never had one until  I renegotiated my contract.    11Mb - what a laugh  BT says the line will only ever be capable of 7.15
but it should tell you your current line speed which should be the same as   " The IP Profile for your line is -x.xxMbps"  on the second part of a  BT test here       http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
What router do you have and can you get stats off it?
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Try dropping the DSL session and reconnecting it from your router, i have found in the past certain Plusnet gateways have resulted in 400ms+ ping's and after hopping to another gateway pings return to normal.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Did you get anywhere with this issue?  I'm currently pursuing a similar fault, and Plusnet are starting to trot out comments along the lines of it must be something at our end because no other customers have reported anything similar (clearly untrue), and also suggesting that they are running  out of ideas to resolve things.
spleenharvester
Dabbler

Nope, unfortunately. Still happening today. Either I'm seeing 2000ms+ pings or a non-existent download speed or a non-existent upload speed, or some sites just refusing to load at all, it's completely sporadic behaviour. Tried a different router and all of the above suggested with no dice.
Frankly a pain in the ass because it worked fine when we were on BT.
EDIT: Just changed DNS gateway, no dice. Then rebooted my router a few times and it's suddenly sprung back into life. Interesting.
EDIT 2: That lasted like two minutes before going back to how it was. I'm going to contact CS.
dick:quote
aesmith
Pro

Could you post output from traceroute when the line's good, and when it's bad?  Also DSL line stats from the router.
From Windows command prompt "tracert ntp.plus.net"
(Or from Linux or Mac "traceroute -I ntp.plus.net"
Mojawk

I'm having the exact same problem. Ping stays constant at 25 for hours then will spike up into the thousands for short periods of time (usually around 1 hour). This has been happening for around 2-3 weeks now.
I've also tried using google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) but this doesn't help either.
spleenharvester
Dabbler

Will do the tracert next time it happens, IIRC I have tried before and didn't find any packet loss, can't remember what pings were like.
Also @Mojawk, this is a longshot but I'm in Bristol, is it possible you are at the same exchange per chance? Seems a lot of people are experiencing the same, not just in this thread. And yeah I tried all DNS, occasionally it helps briefly but then goes back to how it was. It's really bizarre.
Mojawk

@spleenharvester
I'm actually in the North of Scotland my friend.
I did the tracert as the connection has been terrible tonight.
Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2  935 ms  944 ms  945 ms  195.166.130.217
  3  1161 ms  1136 ms  1118 ms  link10-central10.pcl-gw02.plus.net [84.93.249.210]
  4  1123 ms  1131 ms  1146 ms  po2.ptw-gw02.plus.net [195.166.129.39]
  5    *        *        *    Request timed out.
  6  1127 ms  1138 ms  1101 ms  cdns02.plus.net [212.159.6.10]
Trace complete.
aesmith
Pro

That's similar to what I'm seeing.  I'm in NE Scotland so there doesn't seem to be a common factor that stands out. 
I would suggest starting by first getting your own side double checked, make sure the symptoms still show when your router's in the BT test jack, etc,  Just in case, and it also shows Plusnet that you've checked your end. 
Next would be to raise a fault with Plusnet,, hopefully they'll be able to confirm that your line is OK at the DSL level, or if not then set in train the process of getting that fixed.  Once that's done you'll be in a better position to press Plusnet to look at the actual problem you're experiencing.  It seems that they won't look at higher level issues until the basic line tests are all done, this makes sense in a way but is a bit frustrating when the real problem is unrelated.
spleenharvester
Dabbler

For some reason it has stopped doing it the last few times I've tried a tracert half way through, hopefully I will be able to get a log soon, but I left a ping at ntp.plus.net running indefinitely and I see similar spikes of up to 2000ms.
The problem with raising a fault is the kind of stuff they want me to try. I can't check to see if the line is clear by phone because we don't have a phone, and I can't use the test socket because I'm in a rented place and they won't let us unscrew it.
aesmith
Pro

Is there any extension wiring?  That's one of the main reasons for wanting to try from the test jack,  if you can't do that then so be it.  Do you have another microfilter you could try?    These shouldn't be a bar to raising the call with Plusnet though, maybe raise it by phone rather than online to avoid the fairly rubbish questionnaire online.