cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent line noise

br4011
Dabbler

Intermittent line noise

I have recently suffered another bout of noise on my phone line that has knocked down my broadband speed from around 4000k to 300k.
I've been unable to discover whether it's internal or external - followed the fault finding guides as usual but results are inconclusive.
The line seems clear again now, and the router reports the maximum data rate as 5500. The actual data rate (again reported by the router) remains down at 283 with a noise margin of about 25dB.
I've triggered a few PPP disconnects in recent days when moving the router back from the master socket to its normal home, but otherwise the line has remained stable.
Is it possible to trigger a reset from your end to get the connection speed back to 'normal'?
Thank you,
Simon

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7143521B002996
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 07:34:07
7 - Data rate: 770/283
8 - Maximum data rate: 968/5552
9 - Noise margin: 7.3/26.4
10 - Line attenuation: 27.8/50.5
12 - Data sent/received: 21.2M/155.1M
20 - Broadband username: hidden by me
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: TNCAPB456C9
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: 7
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: hidden by me
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Intermittent line noise

It looks like the line's been banded to the lowest possible speeds due to the drops shown below.

I could reset it however that could bring the drops back again.
Have you raised a fault to us regarding this?
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
br4011
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,
I did raise a fault when the problem first occurred (probably a year or two back) and BTOR visited, but by the time they arrived the noise had vanished. Although they couldn't find a fault a new faceplate was fitted.
Things were OK until earlier this year when I had problems for several weeks, and I was sent a new modem. This didn't seem to make any difference initially, but then the noise disappeared as before. I think it was 'Oldjim' who reset the speed for me and I was up at full speed until a few weeks ago. The download SNR margin was reported at around 3dB, with 50dB attenuation (about right for my distance from the exchange) and a sync speed of around 5000k.
When there is noise, it is still apparent when the router and corded phone are connected through a filter to the 'Test' point on the master socket.  In this situation, the broadband often disconnects when an incoming call is received. If I listen to the phone when the router is re-connecting then lots of varying noises are audible. I've changed the filters multiple times between those supplied by Plusnet, by my previous ISP and for those I've purchased.
If you think that I should raise a fault then I will do so, but at the moment there's no obvious (to me) fault on the line.
Regards,
Simon
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When there is noise, it is still apparent when the router and corded phone are connected through a filter to the 'Test' point on the master socket.  In this situation, the broadband often disconnects when an incoming call is received. If I listen to the phone when the router is re-connecting then lots of varying noises are audible. I've changed the filters multiple times between those supplied by Plusnet, by my previous ISP and for those I've purchased.
If you think that I should raise a fault then I will do so, but at the moment there's no obvious (to me) fault on the line.

Is there any noise on the line when the router isn't connected and you try a single handset into the test socket?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
br4011
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Is there any noise on the line when the router isn't connected and you try a single handset into the test socket?

Chris,
When the noise is present with the router connected, then it is normally there but much reduced in volume (and more like 'white' noise) when just a handset is connected at the test socket. The noise level is greater than when I'm not experiencing problems.
Simon
br4011
Dabbler

The line continues to be noise free today.
Should I raise a ticket, or shall we just go through the reset procedure?
Thanks,
Simon
br4011
Dabbler

Hi again,
Have you started running tests on my line?
The broadband reset at about 14:50 today, and the maximum data rate has shot up to >8500. I've never seen it this high.
Unfortunately, there's been no change to the actual data rate, but at least the line remains noise free!
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 06:40:14
7 - Data rate: 770/283
8 - Maximum data rate: 968/8880
9 - Noise margin: 7.1/26.1
10 - Line attenuation: 27.7/50.5

Regards,
Simon
Chris
Legend

Nope, and nobody else has either as there's no open ticket on the account about the issue. I'm going to go test the line now and see what's going on.
I'm concerned about the noise on the line still but I'll see if the tests show any issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Still a few disconnections showing but it looks a lot better since the 11th July.

The line is banded so until that's lifted you won't see any improvements to the speed.
WBC 160K - 288K Medium delay (INP Cool 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
The copper line test has passed, so it's not detecting any problems on the phone service.
I'll go and remove the banding, however it may get readded if the disconnections start again. If so can you run through the faults checker here: https://faults.plus.net
br4011
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
I've opened a ticket (#107569403) so you have something to work against.
I'm now getting a much better speed, and BTW report an IP profile of 3.8M.
Thanks for your efforts on this.
Kind regards,
Simon
br4011
Dabbler

I've just (about 17:00) made a phone call, and found that the noise has returned to the line. It was OK at about 09:30 this morning.
I'm now disconnecting PPP before moving the router and a corded phone back to the test socket.
Regards,
Simon
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Was the noise still present in the test socket?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
br4011
Dabbler

When I first plugged into the test socket there was some noise, but I later ran a quiet line test which was fine.
On Sunday I disconnected the router from the test socket, and reconnected at the master socket. There's now two corded phones attached, one with the router at the master socket, and one on an extension downstairs. The line's still quiet.
The router now needs to be moved to an upstairs extension, and I'll do this in the next few days if the line stays good.
Regards,
Simon
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Simon,
I see you are back with a third report of quite similar issues in 12 months.  Looking back at your previous postings I see that you've done much to improve all of your internal wiring (tidying up, removal of bell wire...), filter changes, router replacement... etc.
Have you at anytime through this saga had a BTOR engineer visit?  Intermittent noise faults coupled with BB drops on inbound calls can be rather difficult to identify remotely.  They are also often weather related.  Given the constraints of the 2794n router detailed monitoring is not easy.  Have you kept up your spreadsheet recirding of stats as we discussed in your previous thread?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.