Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent line noise problem

tonycollinet
Grafter

Intermittent line noise problem

Hi
I seem to have an intermittent problem with line noise. When present, we get a very noisy crackling voice line, and ADSL speeds drop. In the worst case, the ADSL drops every time we use the phone. Normally it lasts a few days, and then clears up, but is having the effect of suppressing the profile speed (Currently on 5500 with a connection speed of 8128 - the noise is not present at the moment).
Due to the need to be at home while the BT Fault lines are open, I have only had chance to contact BT once while the noise was present, and while they were very helpful (calling back when promised etc.), unfortunately the noise cleared up in the second day of diagnostics. They said they could only close the fault, and ask me to reopen it if it recurred. It has recurred twice since, but I've not been able to re-open the fault before it has cleared up.
I thought it might be weather related - but it is peeing down now, and the line is clear. Any other suggestions of possible cause?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: Intermittent line noise problem

Tony,
Does your phone line run to a telegraph pole, or is it underground?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when you report the noisy line, I hope you dont mention ADSL
tonycollinet
Grafter

There is no overground line - so must be underground.
I didn't mention ADSL, but when asked during the diagnostics, I disconnected it. It had no effect on the line noise.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've got exactly the same problem.  Not so easy or friendly to report when you are on PlusNet home phone. With BT they test within minutes and ring you back with PlusNet home phone who knows. Reported the fault today and the first thing they tell you is the fault may cost you £148.
James
Grafter

Re:Intermittent line noise problem

George,
We're bound to tell you this, as Openreach won't send out an engineer without our agreeing to the potential callout charges.  Best bet is to call us (and chose fault -> home phone fault).
Tony - Hope you manage to make progress getting your fault fixed.