cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet signal - Drops connection constantly.

Dsx333

Intermittent internet signal - Drops connection constantly.

My problem is that my connection drops if the phone rings, if there's one or more wifi connections and sometimes without reason. I would like to point out that I've tried new ADSL filters, used a corded phone with a clear tone with no interferences, reset the Router to factory default. I feel at this point that it must be a faulty router, I've had these problems since I joined. And on top of that the speed has been terrible. A new Router is a must if am to stay with plusnet.
8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Intermittent internet signal - Drops connection constantly.

If you've got your old router try reconfiguring that to PN settings; that'd prove/ disprove if your Hub One is faulty.
You should also try PN router in the TEST socket, inside your OpenReach master socket.
Dsx333

I don't have an open reach master socket, I've tried using my EE Router with the PN setting and can't connect at all. I would love to use my EE router because it seems better made and I had no problems with EE at all. I only changed because PN is cheaper and took the incentive to swap. Looks like there are a lot of problems with PN because I've been looking for solutions on these forums and it always comes down to these routers.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Dsx333 , welcome to the forums. Your posts are a little confusing - I may investigate a little more tomorrow if I have time, but your comment 'I don't have an Openreach master socket' is extremely strange - how do you connect a phone or router to the BT network without one?

John
Dsx333

It wasn't fitted by open reach, it's an old British telecom socket.
jab1
Legend

Ah, OK. As I said, I may have a further look tomorrow, but no promises. When was the phone line installed, if you know?

As a further question, which router do you have?

John
jab1
Legend

OK, I have a few minutes to kill, so I will post the following suggestions:- please post screen shots of the following:- your Help Desk tab from the router (obscuring personal details), the results of https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (please complete the 'Additional Diagnostics')

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Dsx333 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection when your phone rings.

I've looked into this for you and there's nothing to suggest the router is the cause for the problem, although it might be, however I'd recommend we arrange an engineer visit first to investigate this.

Can you report a fault to us at Here and in the notes box at the end, please add your availability for an engineer visit. The available timeslots are 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm. This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away once we've picked the fault up.

Feel free to post back when you've raised the fault and we'll make sure that is picked up as soon as we can.

Also by any chance are you turning your router off when you're not using it? There seems to be large gaps in your connection as pictured below. If you are, I'd advise leaving your router switched on all the time otherwise the automated software at the exchange will start to slow your speed down in a (futile) attempt to stop the drops.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Very interesting Radius, @Gandalf .

John