cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connect problem at plusnet

Kwak
Rising Star

Intermittent connect problem at plusnet

About 6-7 days ago had problem where connection to internet from plusnet was going up/down for a while.
It just happened  there again, on off for a few minutes? My router was reporting all fine until final 'stage'
(ie. couldn't see DNS servers) and when I did a tracert to plusnet DNS server was getting:
  1    95 ms  199 ms  198 ms  [my router]
  2    63 ms    41 ms    42 ms  lo0.plusnet.thn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.101]
  3    *        *        *    Request timed out.
etc
When it works it's 6 hops.
- strange high result to router but ping is < 10, I'm not toooo worried about that.
Surely I'm not only persons who just seen this? Bit worrying twice in a week and nothing
on service status. Nobody else seen this? Anything to worry about?
19 REPLIES 19
tomm
Grafter

Re: Intermittent connect problem at plusnet

Nope - not just you. Happened to me too.
Forced a resync at my end a few times. As wasn't sure if problem was local or remote.
Cathotel
Grafter

Similar problems here..
My girlfriends PN connection went intermittent starting about 17:30 and seems to have stabilised after about 45 mins.  Oddly when it worked, downloading pages from the web were ok, but the minute we tried an upload e.g. broadband speedtester it lost sync.  Also could get as far as the PN portal login screen entered username/password hit submit and crashed for a few minutes.
Mine seems to be fine and were both off the same exchange but haven't delved any further.
Cheers,
Pete
James
Grafter

Re:Intermittent connect problem at plusnet

Hi guys,
Unfortunately, we saw 6 segments (a total of 930Mbps) drop last night.  Whilst those affected would have been able to reconnect pretty much straight away, the load on the rest of our platform would have been considerable and will have added to speed issues that were seen last night.
Kwak
Rising Star

Hmmmmmmm. Within past few days I've had connection go down again for a while, router was telling me something
like PPP refused (or was it dropped) by peer.
And now about 25 minutes ago it has just dropped on me AGAIN, this time the symptom was the connection to the gateway went
down for 10-15 minutes, though it is now back up again. This is more like the intermittent error I reported in this post,
that others also apparently have been getting. Yet strangely service status never mentions any problems?
Complete loss of Broadband for 10-15 minutes every few days or so is going to get pretty irritating pretty quickly!
Tony_W
Grafter

@Kwak
They have been 'load balancing' (see service status).
I would check your speed though - mine has gone through the floor since the reconnection.
Tony
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and mine, think I was on AG02 had a low of 5235 but  had been ok at 6000, 
then bumped onto thn AG3  - 4498
then I reconnected tp PCL AG04 2400
then PTE AG2  2073
Today 21:43  2073 kbps (259kB/s)  338 kbps (42.3kB/s)  Share
Today 21:41 2406 kbps (301kB/s) 348 kbps (43.5kB/s) Share
Today 21:14 4498 kbps (562kB/s) 336 kbps (42kB/s) Share
Today 20:03 5235 kbps (654kB/s) 353 kbps (44.1kB/s) Share
Today 19:15 5926 kbps (741kB/s) 348 kbps (43.5kB/s) Share
Today 18:20 6433 kbps (804kB/s) 360 kbps (45kB/s) Share
Today 17:18 4582 kbps (573kB/s) 334 kbps (41.8kB/s) Share
Today 16:32 3175 kbps (397kB/s) 293 kbps (36.6kB/s) Share
Today 07:33 6575 kbps (822kB/s) 310 kbps (38.8kB/s) Share
Tony_W
Grafter

I'm on PCL-AG04 now back to normal???
Today 21:58    5737 kbps (717kB/s) 
Today 21:43    1143 kbps (143kB/s)
martin2006
Grafter

hi, can i jump in on the end of this although i am not following most of your technical stuff, i keep getting intermittent connection problems, ie i access a web page and it comes up with the page saying i dont have a connection, then try again and its fine. also when i do a send and receive on my emails, sometimes it shows that nothing can be downloaded as if there is no connection, then click send/receive again and its all fine. is this a similar fault as i have also been having speed and ping problems.
i have attached a file of the diagnose connection problems which i got this morning but would appreciate any help or advice
cheers
Andy
Roswellgrey
Grafter

I too am getting intermittant DNS errors, and I would guess that this is Andy's problem ...
nslookup bbc.co.uk
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 212.159.6.10: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 212.159.6.9: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  212.159.6.10
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
martin2006
Grafter

wish i knew what all these letters and numbers mean
SparckZero
Grafter

Intermittent DNS problems here too:
nslookup bbc.co.uk
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.0.1
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bbc.co.uk
Address:  212.58.224.138

nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.9
Server:  ptn-cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9
Non-authoritative answer:
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Name:    bbc.co.uk
Address:  212.58.224.138
Roswellgrey
Grafter

Quote from: martin2006
wish i knew what all these letters and numbers mean

I will try ...
The wikipedia entry for DNS ( Domain Name System) is very comprehensive, but is quite deep  Shocked
A feeble attempt at a simple explaination follows ...  Smiley
Take the BBC webserver as an example (its IP address on the internet is 212.58.224.138 )
Now, if you want to access the BBC website, it would be a complete pain to have to type "212.58.224.138" into your web browser.
What you want to do of course is type "www.bbc.co.uk" !
So, the concept of Domain Names comes in to play.
It allows the association of well known names (i.e. bbc.co.uk) to IP addresses ( i.e. 212.58.224.138)
So, when you type www.bbc.co.uk in your web browser, the first thing that your PC has to do is lookup the IP address of www.bbc.co.uk so that it knows
where to send its data to ....
This is the DNS Lookup phase, and for most people on plusnet, their pc will ask the plusnet DNS servers for the IP address.
Normally, they respond and all is well.
However, if they don't respond in a timely manner (or respond at all), your web browser doesnt know where to send its data, and hence will pop up the "server not found" or similar error pages ...
nslookup, the output of which I posted above, is a tool to ask the pc to lookup a web address ( using DNS)  and show the results.
It can be a usefull tool  to see whats afoot ....
Hope that helps .
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Guys, we're looking into the 'DNS' issues at the moment. We're currently of the opinion that it's not the caches themselves that are causing problems as extended lookups from a box outside the Plusnet network don't show any problems at all. It only seems to be our DSL lines that are experiencing problems. This Service Status relates to what you're seeing. If you are reporting lookup failures can you please include reference to the gateway you're connected to as well?
Quote from: Kwak
And now about 25 minutes ago it has just dropped on me AGAIN, this time the symptom was the connection to the gateway went
down for 10-15 minutes, though it is now back up again. This is more like the intermittent error I reported in this post,
that others also apparently have been getting. Yet strangely service status never mentions any problems?

You were disconnected because of this (notice the 'Administrative reset' entry in the RADIUS logs below for your account):
unknown (Administrative reset)	212.159.XXX.XXX 	Not set		07:30 31/Oct/2009	21:05 02/Nov/2009	 2 Days, 13:34:47 

Quote from: martin2006
hi, can i jump in on the end of this although i am not following most of your technical stuff, i keep getting intermittent connection problems, ie i access a web page and it comes up with the page saying i dont have a connection, then try again and its fine. also when i do a send and receive on my emails, sometimes it shows that nothing can be downloaded as if there is no connection, then click send/receive again and its all fine. is this a similar fault as i have also been having speed and ping problems.
i have attached a file of the diagnose connection problems which i got this morning but would appreciate any help or advice

Try a reboot if you haven't done so already Andy - you've been online for a few days now and we've had a few problems during that time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Hi Bob
I did some gateway hopping last night when you said you thought it was routing issues, and it didn't seem to make any difference.
I'm fairly certain I tried Plusnet 6, Plusnet 10, Plusnet 11 and Plusnet 12, though I may not have remembered correctly.  I know I connected to all 3 data suits at one point or the other (ie Telehouse East, Telehouse North and City Life).
Not at home at the moment.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.