Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent broadband

leeroyian
Dabbler

Intermittent broadband

Hello,
Since this morning my broadband has been up and down.
I am in the preston area and my neighbours broadband (BT) is fine.
My router stats page shows

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:01
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 6,544
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 5,912
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.09 / 13.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 80 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 458,752 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 458,765 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 28 / 233
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 49 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / NA
I currently have a support question open but wanted to post on here to see if there was anything i can do my end, I have kids breathing down my neck (It's a double xp xbox weekend whatever that means!!!)
Please help
thanks
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Intermittent broadband

If you've done all the checks when raising the fault through faults.plus.net and the issue is still apparent there's not a lot you can do, but in general you'll find the connection will behave best with the router in the master socket (with no extensions) and all other phone items plugged in through microfilters. If it's already set up like that then there's not much more you can do, leave it with us and we'll update you soon.
leeroyian
Dabbler

Hello I am posting this to keep record and also see if there is a knowledgeable person out there who can clarify this
I do not feel the issue is resolved as of yet.
May I draw your attention to this
DSL Connection 
    Link Information

Uptime:    1 day, 23:12:26 (Sometimes web pages dont load but router still shows line connected)
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    26.5 / 44.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    23.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    11 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    36,155 / 368,789
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    1,281 / 1,952
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 38,044
Most worryingly my line has an unacceptable level of CRC errors if my router is receiving corrupt data surely there is a problem with the line? Whilst my broadband has been up and most usable for 2 days now my telephone service sounds like there is an ocean between me and the other end. To better explain my home wiring (to rule it in or out) There is an old linebox that the drop cable from the loft goes into this is then fed into a master socket (BT WHITE NTE5) there are no extensions coming off this socket and since reporting the fault I have been in the Test socket anyway (One behind the faceplate) although I do not see this making any difference as there are no extensions off the socket anyway. From the looks of the line box it seems about 20 years old which leads me to belive in this time it could have gone faulty. I am also aware that this is BT's wiring and I may not touch it (punishable by fine as I understand)
The only issue I have is that I do not want BT to come out as suggested in previous plus net support reply and replace there wiring only to be charged an extraordinary amount on the premise that it is "My Internal Wiring" at fault as I can ill afford it and do not beleive BT's old wiring to be my problem anyway.
Please can you reply with clarification on the engineer visit charges, errors on my line?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you have a voice line fault then you should report it as such.  That could well have a knock-on effect on your broadband.
But your broadband isn't looking too bad, up for almost 48 hours, noise margin of 6 dB.  What you didn't quote is the actual line speeds (sync rates).  If you had a fault that has been fixed these might need a few days to recover.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Regarding the engineer charges, these are issued if an engineer attends and finds the fault to be caused by any equipment plugged into the line or by any internal wiring, as you've alluded to. As long as you've tested in the test socket (which eliminates internal wiring) with more than one phone or router depending on if it's a phone or broadband fault (which eliminates equipment) then you won't be charged.
Regarding errors on the line, as ReedRichards says a noisy line is a common cause for these - are you hearing any crackling or other unusual noises when using the phone? If so that'll be a voice fault, so update the ticket with any information about it and we'll get it investigated for you.