cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent access problems

moley
Grafter

Intermittent access problems

Hey all, just recently I've started to experience an inability to access the internet.  This has happened a couple of times in the last week.
The router is fine, and the connection to the exchange seems to be rock solid.  All I need to do to restore normal service, is to log in to the router (Netgear DGND3300v2), then disconnect/reconnect.  After that, everything jumps in to life again.  I'm not located in any areas where there have been weather-related incidents, so am a bit puzzled.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 20391 kbps 1159 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 db 5.0 db
Noise Margin 3.1 db 6.2 db

Anyone else affected by this?
Cheers,
7 REPLIES 7
Cruise85
Grafter

Re: Intermittent access problems

Hi Moley
Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing with the connection.
Appears an odd situation, I don't suppose you have an alternative router that we could see if the problem replicates with ?
Regards
Matt
moley
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the speedy reply.  I don't have a spare router Sad  Just moved house and had a major clear out.
Must admit I don't understand it either.  I've had routers that have just given up after a few years of loyal service so who knows, maybe its on its way out.
Aled
Dabbler

Hi Moley,
Not sure if this will help at all, but I did a quick search in Google for your problem. It's a long shot given how long ago the article was published, but <a href="http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20619/~/dgnd3300v2-firmware-version-2.1.00.54-%28ww-users-except-na%29">Netgear released a firmware upgrade</a> that seems to address this specific flaw.
It might be worth a try as it sounds suspiciously like a router problem. Otherwise, we can send one of our routers for £5.99 postage (may include a contract extension) if you continue to have issues.
Aled
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Further to the advice already provided, it's always worth checking your DSL stats immediately if you observe this problem again, just to check whether or not you actually lost sync - there will be a slight difference in speeds etc from before the event.
If a firmware upgrade doesn't solve the problem, some recent Netgears have had issues that were DNS related. You could try changing the DNS settings from Automatic to fixed values using the Plusnet DNS server addresses or any others of your choice. HTH.
moley
Grafter

Thanks for your replies Smiley
Aled - that's the firmware I have (the router checks for new firmware periodically).  Good call though.
Anotherone - I've yet to see anything pointing to a disconnect or synch issue but its possible.  The router itself has been up for 28 days, maybe it needs a reboot.  The router is set to use Google DNS servers currently.
My only other very long shot is that the exchange (EMROTHW) changed status on the BT Fibre rollout website from Coming Soon (September 2014) to Under Review, which I take to be a step backwards.  I live within gobbing distance of the exchange and BT Openreach are in and out of there all the time, so perhaps they are mucking about.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you seem to have checked all the obvious things and clearly have a good understanding, then yes it's likely BT is doing whatever at the exchange. Just keep an eye on things, if something else crops up, or this becomes a real nuisance, post back on this thread (so that the whole story is here). Hope it goes OK. Cheers.
Aled
Dabbler

Hi Moley,
Could possibly be maintenance, as there has been some going on at your exchange recently (not at the times you've dropped your session). It's odd for you to drop just auth though, so I'd agree with Anotherone - let us know how you get on.
Thanks,
Aled