cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Wifi/Broadband

clarebearbarton

Intermittent Wifi/Broadband

I have been having real problems with my broadband since moving; the signal is very intermittent - sometimes the printer (connected wirelessly) will print and sometimes not - it states its off line and then about 5 minutes later, almost as if the wireless has kicked in again, it prints.  Sometimes pages take a while to redirect - it just seems as the wifi is not continuous.  The wireless light is constantly flashing.  I had a problem uploading earlier in the week - the upload speed as 35, and then a couple of days later it improved to 350kbps.  
Today's test - download 3.74 mb upload 0.38
Any ideas what I can try?
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Intermittent Wifi/Broadband

welcome to the forum Smiley
what router do you have? It could be something interfering with your wireless signal, for example my microwave used to knock out the wireless signal on one of my routers.
First thing to do is probably try changing the wireless channel on the router and see if that helps.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
clarebearbarton

Hi - thanks for the welcome!  I have tried changing the channel - I've tried a manual setting of 1, 6 and 11.  I am using the router supplied by Plusnet - TG585 v8 
Today I have run a speedtest and my upload speed is 0.04Mbps.  Download is 3.7mbps so not too much of a problem.
I can't send any emails with attachments today because of the poor upload speed.
KenA
Grafter

Hi,
Just to be sure it's not the ADSL connection, try upload/download tests when you connect to the router with a wired connection.  If the speed are fine, then the next thing is to look at interference with the wireless signal, as dvorak suggested.  Check you are not trying to connect via thick walls, the router antenna is affixed tightly, no interference from microwaves, DECT or mobile phones, and neighbours' wireless signals.
brueton
Grafter

If you are suffering from a poor upload speed when using wireless on a 585v8 then this is a known issue.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html
The solution appears to be to use a different model of router. If you do not have one you can try then ask Plusnet if they will supply a 585v7 or 582n.
PeteB
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi clarebearbarton,
Have you tried changing the wireless encryption to WPA rather than WPA2?
Jojo Smiley