cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Slow Download Speed

FIXED
31djpar

Intermittent Slow Download Speed

Over the last few weeks I have noticed occasional issues with broadband download speed. This now occurs several times a day. Running a speed check on my laptop shows that whilst download speed is usually above 20MB/S, it is sometimes below 10 MB/S. When this occurs there is noticeable disruption to streaming services. This affects all devices that are connected to the WiFi.

My laptop does not have an ethernet port, so I am unable to test speed directly into our property and taking the WiFi out of the equation.

Nothing has changed in our household as to what equipment is being used, where it is located or patterns of usage. Up until a few weeks ago, everything was fine.

We are on the plusnet unlimited fibre dealing (estimated download is 32-36Mb).

The wifi router is now a few years old, and I am wondering if this is likely  to be the cause of the issue.

Can anyone offer any advice as to either diagnose the issue more accurately or to resolve?

Many Thanks

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Intermittent Slow Download Speed

Fix

@31djpar Welcome to the forums. Things to do first (1) Check your phoneline for noise -dial 17070 from a preferably corded phone -after the confirmation of your number, the only sound you should hear is the repeated 'quiet line test' message - ANY other noise, report a phone fault via: Report your landline problem | Help | Plusnet . If the line test is quiet, then report a broadband issue here: Report your broadband problem | Help | Plusnet . This will not get picked up until after 0800 tomorrow, so be patient.

If the result of the reports is 'no fault found', come back for further advice.

John
31djpar

Re: Intermittent Slow Download Speed

Thanks, @jab1. That is a nice facility to know about. There is no noise on the line, so I will report a broadband issue as per your advice. Many thanks for your help.