cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Line Drop Escalation

shadersrjj

Intermittent Line Drop Escalation

I have been having an ongoing issue where the line keeps dropping the broadband connection (I also get a lot of static noise on the voice line). This can happen several times a day or once in 3-4 days. Nominally, the router syncs at 8128Kbps and I never get a CRC errors and the drops are intermittent or compounded by using the land line. I have also rewired the DSL line, bought new phones, a billon 7800n router, tried directly using the master sockets and all sorts. I finally, had a BT engineer round who found no fault but said he couldn't test everything! Plusnet have be most helpful but are now suggesting sending another BT engineer round who I have no doubt will find no fault and possible charge me £60.
The question is whether there are any mechanisms to escalate the fault to a higher level. I know Plusnet are member of CISAS and wondered whether I have right in that direction?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Intermittent Line Drop Escalation

If Plusnet want to send another engineer round but you aren't inclined to let them, just wondering on what grounds you would base an escalation or a complaint? Intermittent faults can be a devil to locate and cure and repeated engineer visits are an unfortunate part of the diagnostic process.
Have you asked if the engineer will be doing something different from the previous one?
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As long as you've tested the connection from the master socket with no phones connected and it still drops connection then you've proved the fault isn't with your internal wiring, and if you're able to test another router then you've ensured that it is a line fault - so you won't be charged even if the engineer does find no fault.
Regarding intermittent sync issues, the signal is generated on the kit at your local exchange and ends on your router - so the fault has to lie somewhere between there and the exchange. It's not possible for us to influence the sync on the line in any way, so as long as you've proved it's not anything in your premises as above then it has to be a line fault.
I'd recommend booking in that engineer in order to move the fault along, I'm afraid without that happening we're not able to progress things any further.
shadersrjj

The problem is because its an intermittent fault it is highly unlikely to be found with one off engineer visits. My concern is that I will be in an endless loop of engineers finding no faults (even if I don't get charged). The reason for asking about how to escalate the issue is there needs to be a investigation of the topology of the line and I wanted to know what the steps are. Surely I don't just keep asking for engineers to visit ad infinitum?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shadersrjj
I have been having an ongoing issue where the line keeps dropping the broadband connection (I also get a lot of static noise on the voice line).

That is the problem, I have had the exact same problem 2 times in the last 8 months.  Get BT out to fix your phone line and make sure the engineer doesn't rely on that box of tricks they assume will spot line faults for him/her, they aren't 100% reliable.
So get the engineer to check from your post/pole outside your house to the cabinet and then from the cabinet to the exchange.  If the same fault its from the cabinet to the exchange and they have to move you onto a new line from the cabinet to the exchange.  That fault gets missed by that machine and took 3 months to find it the first time for mine, now if I get it again its the first thing I mention.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@shadersrjj
In case you mean that you're worried that the symptoms of the problem won't be evident during the visit that shouldn't deter the engineer from investigating further. Let us know if it does, persistence is sometimes needed for this type of issue but I hope that this is resolved soon all the same.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team