Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet Service

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Intermittent Internet Service

Don't apologise for your tone, I can quite understand that frustration. You are at least providing info and being willing to be helped when asked, unlike some in some posts that just rant and rant about things when they can't even follow the procedures and the problem isn't even Plusnet's fault!
OK, does that current ticket say that you've tried another modem/router and filter at the test socket, I'd respond to make it quite clear that you have, and if the ticket already said it, then complain about the fact that the agent didn't read the ticket history.
As regard the data, not good, you've had lots more drops and now your Target Noise margin has gone to 15dB slowing your connection speed and hence the appalling throughput. Are you sure that the data was directed at you, because sometimes stuff is put on tickets for the next faults' guy to look at?
I'll respond more on some other points in a moment, thought you needed to see this.
alex7127
Grafter

Fantastic.....my speed is so slow now pages keep timing out before they have loaded  Angry
Anotherone
Champion

I have flagged your thread to one of the Digital Care Team. Maybe they could do an SNR reset for you as an interim fix to get you out of the very slow speeds. Did you check that ticket, or was that one of the pages that timed out, wouldn't surprise me that Portal is so damn slow and seemed slower to me today?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I've one of the faults team picking this up now. Not sure an SNR reset would help at the moment ans it might cause it to be more intermittent. Let's see what they come up with.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I don't think that'll matter Jojo, his connection is that slow now he can't load pages. I appreciate it won't fix the problem, but at least he'll get some usable internet.
SpencerUk
Grafter

@alex7127
Thanks for taking the time to speak with me tonight.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible!
I've taken personal ownership on this fault until we can arrive to a positive resolution. As discussed, I have booked an appointment for tomorrow afternoon (between 1PM-6PM) for an engineer to take a look at the BT network. The issue here is that something between the exchange and your socket is causing your SNR to jump up which in turn is giving you low access and throughput speeds.
As I'm not in the office tomorrow, I won't be able to follow it up so I'll give you a call Wednesday just to see what the engineer has done.
If you need to get in contact with me, as discussed, just text back to the message I've sent or give one of the Digital Care team a jingle on here and I'm sure they will pass the message on Smiley

alex7127
Grafter

Anotherone - Thanks for giving Jojo a shout for me
Jojo - Thanks for flagging to Spencer
Spencer - Thanks for the phone call and personal adoption until resolution of my case
FYI - DL speed (TBB speedchecker) this morning is now at 0.3Mbps! Awful. truly awful!
BT engineer is due to come out to me this afternoon to check my line etc..........I really really hope he find a dry joint or loose wire or something equally simple to find n fix.
FYI - I will update this thread and let you know what happens.
KR's.....and I live in hope!
Alex
alex7127
Grafter

PS.....I spoke with one of my neighbours this am and she is having excatly the same problems as us. That is service dropouts all the time, extremely slow connection when it does work and a crackly phone line. Their house is just across the grassed area from my house....probably 40 meters or so from each other. Food for thought? She said that like me, these symptoms have only started just recently.........
Also I have not experienced it but my wife mentioned last night that just recently our telephone line has a crackle to it (on the inbound voice of the other party  apparently  her outgoing voice is fine with no crackle to the other party, according to people she has spoken to on the phone). BUT once again this crackle is intermittent and not present for all calls!  Just thought I would mention these two further bits of info.....may assist a diagnosis?
Alex
Anotherone
Champion

Interesting. Does the ingoing cable to the neighbour come from the same junction box outside your's, their's or another adjacent neighbour's house that your's does. An undergound feed usually has a box on the end of it, where 2 or 3 people may be fed from it. Have a quick gander. Anyway mention it to the engineer, it should give him a clue to where to look, what ever the junction box layout is.
I wouldn't mention 'oneway' crackles as it may give him a red herring, thinking something at the exchange. This isn't that uncommon for the crackle to be loud at your end, because it is your end, and be faint at the other, so they may not hear it. So I'd just say to the engineer that your wife's heard crackles on the line when making a phone call, but it's not always there.
PS. Keep the engineer sweet by offering a cup of tea, but don't let him stay chatting, he may only have a 2 hour slot!!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Anotherone
I don't think that'll matter Jojo, his connection is that slow now he can't load pages. I appreciate it won't fix the problem, but at least he'll get some usable internet.

My reasoning is that it is likely to make the line more intermittent and once the reset is requested you can't do it again for another 10 days. So, what could happen is the issue could get resolved but leave the line with a high SNR and no way of resetting it for 10 days. Also, on a bad line, the SNR can go back up almost immediately.
Jojo Smiley
alex7127
Grafter

Anotherone - I really would not know what to look for. All our phone lines come up out of the ground round here! There are some sort of what look like rectangular concrete coloured covers in the pavements round that are marked up 'BT' They measure approx 20" by 36" I guess.
I take it these are BT junction box's? There is one at the bottom of my drive and one each side of my neighbours house. As as I look out of my window right now, I can see all 3 of the said covers in the pavement!  Maybe they are full of water or super 'cable eating' rats!
I agree, I shall make him a tea/coffee and might just offer him a biscuit!
Watch this space.....Engineer due between 1pm & 6pm (and yes I have been told that he will only have  2 hour window)
KR's
Alex Cry
Anotherone
Champion

It sounds like individual underground cables may go straight to your Master socket, not uncommon, but there is often a grey box on the outside of the house just above ground level, may be hidden behind a bush. For want of a better description, it's slightly wedge-shaped, about 4-4½ x 3½ x 1" in size.
alex7127
Grafter

BT Engineer turned up at 3pm. He cut the phone line on the o/s of my hose and connected up an oscillator and them went off in his van for the next hour and 20 mins.
On his return he said he had gone to the cabinet (I think he may have said it was number '7'.....) and the exchange. He said something was not right and that he had corrected it? We then got into jargon......I got lost at this stage!  I think he mentioned something about a 'cap' that had been incorrectly applied? Also he mentioned setting something at '12' (I think it was SNR?). He said the BB would take 5-10 days to settle down, but nearer to the 5 day mark. He also mentioned a computer called RAMBO'? Apparently RAMBO and another computer fight against each other....one tries to give you loads of Mbps and the other takes it away??? He linked up a handheld device to the wires outside my house and said that he had synced BB service from the exchange to this device at 800 and something Kbps and seemed really pleased with himself. He did not really mention as to why my BB service had kept dropping recently..............
Hopefully his notes/report will enlighten those that know about these things?
He reconnected my phone line and waited for me to reboot my router. We then pulled up the  router stats and he was happy with them. I really had lost the will to live by this stage! After he had gone I had to go out straight away to run some errands.
Now, firstly my BB speed does not really seen to have improved? I have attached a current copy of my router stats and a current TBB Speedtest result. Why does my Router indicate a DL speed of 992Kbps and the TBB Speedtest says the DL speed is 500Kbps? I am confused yet again. Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are still restricted by the Plusnet IP profile mirror or indeed the BT IP profile
Please post the Current Line Speed from here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
and the results of a BT speedtest
alex7127
Grafter

He he he he he he.........

1. Have been trying BT Speedtester for weeks now...........it does not work for me....says it is busy every time I try and use it.
2. I am a madasafish customer and can't log in to the plusnet transfer speed portal.