Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet Service

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Intermittent Internet Service

Alex, does anyone very very close to you have this Village Network thingy?
alex7127
Grafter

@Spencer - I guess the CSC analyst was not aware of this or did not read the notes on my account. I think I have reverted to the DLM control now, as I was resynced at circa 8.30 this morning. Thanks for trying something else Smiley
@Anotherone - Yes, next door but one has Village Networks. Went out for a beer with him last week actually. He gets on average 6Mbps (but fluctuates between 5-7Mbps) for £25 pcm. They waived the installation / set up fee when he had it installed as he told them he would not sign up if he had to pay this fee.
KR's
Alex Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

How long a cable do you need from the BT socket to the modem/router?
alex7127
Grafter

Chris,
What do you mean?  I am running wireless now....so no cable. As I was told to use the BT master socket during all my troubles my router is now plugged into that and the house picks up wireless from this location (dining room). It is not workable to run a cable from my master socket to my study.
Alex Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

So your modem/router is magically connected to the BT socket by thin air? no wonder you noise margin goes up and down  Cheesy
alex7127
Grafter

Chris you are a sarcastic t**t  Grin
I had a 'funny moment' there I think and got totally confused!
Socket (router) to Socket (BT master) is approx 60cms.....is this what you were asking?
Alex  Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

How long is the cable you are currently using out of interest? Anyway get one of these to see if things improve as this one is a bit too short.
Edit: spelling
alex7127
Grafter

I think the 1m should do the job. I am using the cable that came with the router.......which seems very thin and flimsy?
Gonna buy one! Smiley
Alex Crazy
alex7127
Grafter

Hi
Can someoneat PN  please check my target SNR. Spencer told me it was set at 9 (due to my poor line etc).
Thanks
Alex
SpencerUk
Grafter

Taken from BT's systems.
BRAS Profile: adsl1000
Profile Info: 6dB/Interleaved
I can only assume its come down because the your line is not retraining as much and is very stable.
alex7127
Grafter

Cheers SD Smiley 
'Stable'.......I like that word!
Alex Crazy
alex7127
Grafter

Only me!
Have had a very 'difficult' few weeks just recently but I am back!
I have had an e-mail from MAAF to say  that my exchange is due to switch over to 21cn on 31/07/2012
Can it be explaind to me what this means.......and what it may mean to me in my circumstances ie long line etc.
Will I see a dramatic  increase in D/L speed.  I currently sit around the 1Mbps mark?

Kind Regards
Alex Crazy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Unfortunately it's only people with ADSL speeds of around 4Mb or above who'll see a speed improvement on ADSL2+. It might be worth moving to ADSL1 on 21CN if need be but that wouldn't be for any extra speed I'm afraid - though I believe the line profiling system updates a bit more quickly on 21CN.
SpencerUk
Grafter

@alex7127
Responded to PM you sent.
As Matt says you won't see any improvement and as stated by him, you will be better off on the ADSL1 setting over the ADSL2 network simply as long lines and ADSL2 are very hit and miss. I have arranged this too just incase something goes wrong :).