Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet Service

alex7127
Grafter

Intermittent Internet Service

Hi
I don't know if anyone can answer my question, but hopefully someone can. Over the past few weeks my Internet service has become very intermittent, going on and off line all the time all day log.
I have done  an exchange (Steeple Claydon) check with the Plusnet exchange status checker: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Steeple%20Claydon&exact=3717.
Is this the cause of my problems, the fact that BT are reporting that The Virtual Paths are currently operatiing at 'RED' level.
If this is the cause, is there anyway I can find out when the fault is going to be fixed. Also Is there anyone I can telephone at BT to complain/vent my anguish at?
HELP!
KR's
Alex
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per Forum Rules.
[color=green][Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.
163 REPLIES 163
alex7127
Grafter

Re: Intermittent Internet Service

Sorry about the title being in capitals, didn't mean to offend!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi alex7127,
The VP being red won't cause you to lose connection. Have a look here for some tips on how to troubleshoot an intermittent connection.
Jojo Smiley
alex7127
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Jojo.
Done all the bits like  using master socket, new micro-filters and new router.
Madasafish support sent me this mail yesterday:
We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.

Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online gamers.

We think that turning on interleaving may help with your connection problems. Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn on, but can take up to 5 days to take effect.

If interleaving solves your problem, please close this Question. If you are still seeing problems with interleaving switched on, please return this Question to us with as much detail about your problem as possible. Thank you for your time and patience.

Kind regards,
Madasafish Customer Support

In a previous mail they also sent me this chart of my interent connection showing dropouts:

make any more sense Jojo?

Thanks
Alex
jim:green duplicate post without image removed mod:end
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi alex7127,
Interleaving will always get switched on when the connection is intermittent. Looking at the logs, apart from certain periods of the day the line is generally solid. Is there anything electrical, that is running at the times shown in the graph, as it does seem like it may be interference.
Jojo Smiley
alex7127
Grafter

I can't think of anything 'new' that is electrical that has been introduced to our house. My PC and Router are hardwired anyway (don't use wireless).
The 'Drop points' are not all at the same time though. The morning ones appear (i am guessing) that they may be the first time I turn the PC on in the morning? (I leave the Router powered and turned on all the time).
Alex Huh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Alex,
What about the ones on Friday just after 6pm. Was that the first time you turned on the computer also? I'm not sure what to suggest really, as general intermittent faults would normally be a bit more spread out than that. Have you tried changing router/filter and plugging into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
alex7127
Grafter

Jojo
I am at a loss too.... Undecided
It is a real weird pattern I think.....if anything (PC, Filter, Router etc) was 'faulting' I would have thought a more general and spread out dropout pattern would present itself. Would you think the same?
Just one long shot to throw in the mix........ We  live on a 'new' estate of 300 houses. Another 100 have just been built and over the past couple of weeks the first few have completed and people are moving in. I am presuming that additional wiring has been put in to the green box up the road etc. Could this be a possible cause in some way?
Re 6pm ish last Friday....can't remember! I do know that we were out all day, so it could have been that the first time the PC was turned on was about that time.
I think I am going to have to keep a diary of events.
If this continues, what do you suggest I do? or ask Madasafish to do?
KR's
Alex Cry
alex7127
Grafter

Jojo
The word I was looking for was random! I would have though the dropouts to be more random in nature.
Going back to the new houses built/being built on my estate.......If the BT engineers are 'cutting n splicing' etc and connecting up to the existing main phone line(s)/green box could this explain things??? If they interupt the lines???
Tell me to shut up if I am adding 2 and 2 and making 5!
Alex Crazy
alex7127
Grafter

A friend has suggested I send you these stats from my router too:
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The stats don't really look anything out of the ordinary, and it doesn't look like there have been any further disconnections since Jojo posted the graph above though I can see you've had 24hr+ connections before.
It could well be related to the work though ideally that shouldn't affect you (I say ideally). I suspect it'd be best to keep an eye on things and see how they go, but as things stand other than making sure you've plugged the router into the master socket and filtered everything else I don't see there's much can be done in all honesty. If it does start dropping a lot (or if you'd like us to) we can raise a fault though - http://faults.madasafish.com
I hope things do stabilise for you though.
alex7127
Grafter

Thanks Matt
I shall 'suck it and see' as they say. Touch wood appears to be ok at the moment, although the actuall speed is down quite a bit. Will this increase as and if the dropouts cease?
KR's
Alex Cheesy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It will do, yes - though only when the connection's stable and when you've synced at a higher speed. If it doesn't update when that's the case then let us know and we'll get it sorted for you.
alex7127
Grafter

Sorry....me again.

UPDATE
I was sat at my PC this afternoon 'working' and at circa 1.50pm the service seemed to 'dropout'. Can someone check to see if this is the case......that I did actually loose connection.
Although I seemingly had no connection (as I could not access the net or e-mail).....my router had a green light to say it was connected to the net and my pc told me it was connected (when checking the connection tab). I checked on my other pc which is also wired to the router and it was exactly the same.
I am puzzled!
Alex Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Nothing at 13:50 though it looks like there was a brief drop at about 14:25, though that reconnected straight away. Very odd.