Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent High Ping - Particularly if Netflix is Streaming

Mitas
Hooked

Intermittent High Ping - Particularly if Netflix is Streaming

Hi

Within the last week or so I’ve been having issues during games where intermittently my ping shoots up and I experience a momentary lag spike.

This is particularly noticeable when someone else in the house is using Netflix. Although I do see the lag spikes from other applications (YouTube/Browsing).

I’ve set a constant ping to BBC and this comes in at around 10ms average but as soon as Netflix is streaming I will see it jump up to 200-300ms every 4 or 5 pings. While this doesn’t sound too bad, the inconsistency/stuttering in online games is frustrating.

The issue is similar to what was described in the thread below:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Traffic-priority-has-gone-Videos-block-out-games-amp-v...

This wasn’t an issue initially and the connection was rock solid up until this started. Also, I’ve had multiple devices streaming in the house with next to no impact on my gaming, so it seems like something has changed recently.

6 REPLIES 6
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Intermittent High Ping - Particularly if Netflix is Streaming

Hi @Mitas, sorry to hear you're having connection issues.

Checking the connection from this side we can see 63.7Mbps download and 16.9Mbps upload getting to the router with no signs of errored seconds that could be behind the ping spikes you've been seeing.
As seen on the graph below there has been a few drops over the last few days which very well could be being caused by the same thing behind the ping spikes you're seeing:

As there's no signs of issues when testing or what's behind the drops and ping spikes I'd advise running through a few basic checks below and seeing if the issues persist. Also, when you notice this ping spikes, is it whilst on a wired or wireless connection? As wireless interference could be a factor here.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops and ping spikes stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes.

Mitas
Hooked

Hi @BD,

Thanks for looking into this.

The issue occurs on both wireless devices and wired - I notice it most on my main PC which is wired, as this is where I am playing games.

I've ran through the basics:

- Phone line - all sounds fine with no distortion/white noise

- Replaced micro filter - still the same

- No other sockets/devices in the house

- Already using the master socket

I've connected to the test socket and still see the same issue here. Unfortunately, the only spare modem/router I have is the Sky Hub from my previous connection, which I don't think will work with PlusNet, so cannot test this.

Just to add to the symptoms I am seeing, when the spikes occur I also see the connection quality change in Discord (green to orange) and hear intermittent blips, freezes or distortion when people are talking. In my uneducated opinion it seems like something is going wrong with the traffic prioritisation (QoS?). 

Tonight I ran Ping Plotter on my main PC while streaming Netflix on a smart TV (PC was not being used for anything else at the time) and below is an image of the output:

bbc.co.uk.png

Around 19:08 the TV was switched off and you can see the connection basically flatlines to 12ms and is fairly consistent until I stop the plotter. Although I don't have an idea of what this looked like before noticing the issues, I am fairly confident it wouldn't have been anywhere near as inconsistent as above. I game a lot and with the rest of the family all on Netflix I would have been experiencing issues well before now.

With regards to the drops, I will admit some of these will be me rebooting the router or disconnecting the DSL line (to replace the filter). However, now you mention it, I do quite often see a message regarding an issue with the connection. Just to be clear, this message is the one generated by the router on a web page when it detects a connection issue - similar to the below:

Broadband message.PNG

The broadband is usually working at the time I come to use it and the message is just referring to an incident that happened while the device was on during the day. I have also had to reboot the router a number of times over the last few weeks because the speed crawls to a halt (less than 56k speeds) or devices such as my Echo plus stop working and refuse to connect.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Mitas, it would be best to report a fault next. I can see you started to do that at http://faults.plus.net but it looks like not all of the steps on the troubleshooter were completed. Can you give that another try? Let us know once that's been done. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mitas
Hooked

Thanks Adam.

I’ve submitted a new fault with the detail from this post.

Couldn’t remember what answers I’d given in the first one so closed that down.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Mitas

Thanks for raising a new fault. I've escalated this to our suppliers and no external faults have been found. As such, they're requesting to progress this to an engineer at your premises. Details here.

Please let me know when you respond to the ticket and I'll ensure it gets picked up.

Best wishes

Dave