cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fibre connection - pppd/PPPoE/Draytek-2130n problem?

fnxweb
Dabbler

Re: Intermittent Fibre connection - pppd/PPPoE/Draytek-2130n problem?

@jimbof re: fluffy strands and stripping:  thanks for that, top tip!  I'll try that next time, as I wasted a good 3" the other night accidentally nicking a cable when trying to strip, & having to start again!
@knowdice yes, thanks, that's the colour sequence I use.  Apparently there are two, but I keep a reference plug+inch-of-cable around to ensure I do it the same each time 🙂  Plus that's the sequence my CAT5 tester lists.  I did do one once years ago without bothering, just getting the same order at each end, and of course it was deeply unreliable!
Technically, the runs I've done with this cable are “”fixed”, as they don't generally ever get moved.  I just got lazy at installation and threw plugs on, meaning to come back with plates later ...
It may well be I have been unlucky with the router cable as that's been jiggered with a little bit more than normal, esp. with installing a new router.  Now I know the difference, I'll get myself a run of stranded cabling for the more active sockets.  it doesn't mean much at this stage, but my router's been up without complaint since first thing this morning (but then it's been up OK for 2-4 days while this has been going on).
If it stays up for over a week, it looks like I'll be taking the hall carpet up to re-lay that CAT5 ...
jimbof
Grafter

If you don't want to replace the cable (assuming it is OK) you can get some pretty discrete punch-down surface mount boxes which you can mount to a skirting board or similar:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/product/7737572/?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CUK-_-Google+PLA-_-Molex+Premise+Net...
Might be useful.
fnxweb
Dabbler

Thanks for that;  however so far the router's still fine, meaning it's currently odds-on it's the cable at fault somewhere.  Doesn't preclude me lopping a bit more off each end (I have about 1½ foot extra at each end, deliberately!) of the current one and trying plates.  I can always hoik them out of the plates for replacement cable if it's too trashed.
It all was OK till I got the new router, though, so it may well be just that end I've damaged somehow, moving stuff around in the corner of the lounge where it sits.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: fnxweb
Apparently there are two

Yes the T568A
White-Green
Green
White-Orange
Blue
White-Blue
Orange
White-Brown
Brown
and T568B as illustrated by knowdice.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jimbof
Grafter

Out of interest, did you get to the bottom of your issues?
fnxweb
Dabbler

Inconclusive;  I replaced the Draytek with the “stock” PlusNet Technicolor, using all the same wiring (so just a router H/W replacement) and the connections problems ceased for a good week.
Draytek had agreed an RMA return, so I sent that back but was on holiday thereafter.  They've since returned it (I still need to pick it up from the PO), but when I queried it they said they couldn't find a fault.  They have “replaced the internal hardware”, whatever that means, & reset the firmware, so I'll try it again at the weekend and see what's what, but I'm not holding my breath.
I've got a batch of those wall sockets awaiting the time I need to set them up;  I may do the first bit next weekend (from hall/modem to lounge/router), but I only want to make one change at a time at this stage so trying the Draytek again will probably take precedence.
If there's still an issue, I should be able to escalate it to their main Taiwan (?) tech. support (to see if I can get more diagnostics) as it seem pretty conclusive that there's something amiss with the Draytek if the Technicolor can hold a stable connection.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

sounds like they swapped out the pcb(s) inside the draytek checked it over and found it to be serviceable,
which probably means they have a surplus of the gubbins but no spare cases Smiley doesn't really make much difference in terms of functionality though just means any damage or marks on your router casing will still be there
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you