Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

bluewhale
Rising Star

Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

any idea what the turn round time is on this, not updates for days now

although right now losing connection twice a day i can live with i am worried it's going to get worse

i'd also like to try swapping in a bt router to see if it's a problem with the plusnet one, but don;t want to do this until the testing has been done

just some kind of update would be nice, especially as the support chat system no longer seems to be working

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

Things do seem a bit unstable, going back further than that too.

I'd recommend making sure your router is in the test socket and to try your alternative router over the next 24 to 72 hours to see if that clears the problem. Let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bluewhale
Rising Star

I'd recommend making sure your router is in the test socket 

even when it's an infinity socket? not sure i have the right cable/filter to do that and is that correct anyway?

also i know it's been going on for a while

as you can see a fault shouldn't this get escalated in some way, rather than getting me to do ad-hoc testing without access to any diagnostics...

bluewhale
Rising Star

well swapped over to a homehub5

however it's got a very old firmwar on it

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 04/07/15

not sure if it'll pickup a newer firmware at some point

does this old one have any security issues???

bluewhale
Rising Star

although having a diff firmware for a bit and if my problem goes away might also be useful info if it comes back after a firmware update

guess i'll see in the next 24hrs

bluewhale
Rising Star

well no drops for nearly 24 hours so implies either a firmware issue or more likely a hardware issue

how do i get a replacement, also has plusnet any plans to upgrade to the latest bt router ( rebadged )

bluewhale
Rising Star

well restarted my router and it applied the firmware that it had downloaded via TR069

was unusable till i hard restarted it

firmware now saying 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2

still would like a new router/vdsl modem especially if it's a better one

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've sent you a replacement router now which you should receive shortly. It'll be the same as they you've had previously although it'll be brand new. [Btw I received your PM, hadn't had a chance to reply yet sorry]

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bluewhale
Rising Star

i'm not sure how to respond to the very aggressive email regarding an engineer visit, it seems to put all the pressure on me as a customer and  doesn't feel like the plusnet i joined some years ago now. i'm not even sure what tests i've been asked to do, sadly i am ill and unemployed and really can't afford to be put at that level of financial risk, so i guess that means i'll just have to put up with the connection drops, not to mention would be nice if we could get the much better bt smart hub as part of the service

"Before we book an engineer to investigate and try to fix your issue, I need to make you aware of the following information, and you will need to accept before we proceed. If the engineer finds the fault to be with one of the checks we have asked you to do, you miss the appointment, or you cancel the appointment within 48 hours of the engineer visit time, we will add a one off fee of £65 to your bill. This charge will appear within 90 days of the engineer visiting your property, and the engineer will demonstrate to you where the problem exists. We are very stringent when accepting and passing on these charges, and protecting both you and us from paying a charge. So that we may book an engineer, do you accept the possibility of a charge to your account? "
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry about the wording of the statement that the adviser left.

We've changed the wording at the back end of last year, so I'm not sure why the adviser is still using the old template . Sad

We'd base an engineer charge around the following:

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

The fee is a small portion of the charge we receive from Openreach should the visit be chargeable under the above.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet