cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband every 2 Weeks

suzanneewood

Intermittent Broadband every 2 Weeks

Repeatedly having the same problem with my broadband.

It cuts out and comes back at random, spend almost an hour contacting customer support who check the line and say its fine and open a ticket for two weeks.

15 days later the same thing happens. I do not have all this time to mess around with internet providers.

Going online to report this issue again today shows that there is a queue of 17 people.

Will be signing up to another provider as that will be much less time consuming and cheaper. I have no idea how this service has won awards (see trust pilot).

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) All caps post edited as per Forum rules

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Intermittent Broadband every 2 Weeks

Hi there,

From looking at the connection logs on your account we certainly don't doubt there's an issue.

Can you let us know how you got on with the checks we suggested on ticket 155834769 please so we can follow things up? "

image15041058005190

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
suzanneewood

I cannot get the socket open that your engineer installed. There are clips on the side that do not open with squeezing or pulling and cannot get it open without breaking it. If you fail to fix this issue in the next 7 days and even consider charging me for sending someone out to fix your faulty internet, let me know and I'll save you the bother and change providers. Currently paying 40 a month for 76 mbps and happy to go elsewhere.
suzanneewood

This is still cutting out. Starts and lunch time and goes on for a few hours. Can someone confirm what you plan to do about this as I would like to start looking for other providers ASAP if you can't fix the problem. This has been going on for months and I am still being charged £40/month for faulty internet. 

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@suzanneewood wrote:
I cannot get the socket open that your engineer installed. There are clips on the side that do not open with squeezing or pulling and cannot get it open without breaking it. If you fail to fix this issue in the next 7 days and even consider charging me for sending someone out to fix your faulty internet, let me know and I'll save you the bother and change providers. Currently paying 40 a month for 76 mbps and happy to go elsewhere.

If the problem persists with a new ISP you'll still be asked to use the test socket! From the description the socket is an Openworld NTE 5C and the picture confirms this, so it must be a reasonably new install.

The NTE 5C is opened by squeezing both side clips simultaneously and pulling the bottom cover straight off. This is usually very easy and I don't know why it should be a problem. I can only suggest you try again or ask somebody to help, then you can carry out the suggested tests.

suzanneewood

The current extension line does not fit in the port. I cannot use this as a solution
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You need to plug the router directly into that socket. Using an extension will compromise your speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you're unable to try the test socket I'd recommend reporting the fault to us over at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit to further investigate for you.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@suzanneewood wrote:
The current extension line does not fit in the port. I cannot use this as a solution

I don't understand why you are using that multiple adaptor to connect the router to the phone socket in the first place. You cannot (or should not) be using the two phone outlets on it. Can you not use the cable supplied with your router? Also, if normally using a phone on the same line, you should be going via one of the supplied ADSL/telephone filters plugged into the NTE socket. That would allow you to easily connect to the Test socket.

Who supplies your phone line? Can you use the BT/Openworld Quiet Line Test, on 17070 Option 2, to check for noise on your phone line.