cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband (DSL) and poor download speed

martinthornber
Hooked

Intermittent Broadband (DSL) and poor download speed

Hi, Since about Tuesday we've been getting constant ADSL dropouts and poor download rates when connected (0.2MBps download rate now for example!). Can the line be tested or modem signal quality be examined remotely as a result of this post? An example router information page when connected is attached, along with download rate for this particular connection! Note the router is connected directly to the main 'BT' household socket with only a corded phone attached also (via a filter). When lifting the phone up, some quiet bursts of noise can be heard..Any thoughts/ideas? Regards, Martin

example5.JPGspeed check2.JPG

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): MAC address, serial number and email address removed from a public forum.

13 REPLIES 13
martinthornber
Hooked

Re: Intermittent Broadband (DSL) and poor download speed

ps. Using Wi-Fi; signal strength of this connection is good (same connection as used previously when ADSL good..)

edit: before this started happening, the connection speed was perfectly adequate for Iplayer & Netflix. Now this does not work (obviously given the drop outs and download rate when it's working)

martinthornber
Hooked

Thanks to the mod for removing the sensitive information from the modem/router screenshot! Just a couple of updates; I've raised a fault ticket so we'll see how that goes and also I've tried my old cisco router; same result - connected at the moment but very slow (0.2Mbps down, 0.55Mbps up!)

martinthornber
Hooked

Still not working properly Sad despite a 'pair changed from node to node' whatever that means! Still downloading at 0.2MBps and uploading at 0.6MBps.. So still no Netflix or Iplayer or more importantly working from home..

speed check_14_7.JPG

router_eg.JPG

allanmc

I've been having very similar sounding symptoms over the same time period. It turns out that the source of the problem is that I was using Google and OpenDNS servers for my DNS settings. Changing to the Plusnet DNS servers resolves the issue and changing back to Google and OpenDNS brings the problem back - it's just like flicking a switch off and on. I cannot undertand what Plusnet might have changed to interfere with this, but it's a bit of a pain.

So, to cut a long story short, try changing your router DNS servers to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 and see if that helps.

Please note that you might have to refresh the connection to any devices that are getting their DNS settings via DHCP from the router, or set them manually on your devices.

martinthornber
Hooked

Thanks for the ideas. Tried the DNS trick but it didn't work for me..

allanmc

It was worth a try.

Looks like there are at least two major network problems just now and you're having the more awkward one. Our broadband has been completely back to normal since we changed back to the Plusnet DNS servers, so the tweak might work for some folks who are currently using other DNS providers and having issues.

Here's hoping they fix your problem soon.

martinthornber
Hooked

Still 0.2MBps ADSL download speeds (whatever device is connected to the router, upload speed is 0.7MBps). No further response from plusnet since they said they 'fixed it' despite being informed that the fix didn't work.

Not good, more than a week now without reasonable internet connection. Shame as I've only just joined plusnet this year thinking they'd be better than TalkTalk! Shall I send my Netflix bill to plusnet as Netflix is currently useless to me?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Something's goosed there, big time.   Attenuation of 50dB is highish, but should still be getting around 4 meg synch speed.   On your router the noise margins look weird as well, is that figure of 25 plus really the downstream margin?

Plusnet - would it be worth resetting this account to 6dB/Interleaved to see how it behaves?

For Martin, could you post stats from your Cisco?  From memory "sh dsl int atm0" of course using the correct interface number.   That command may be model dependent, if it's not accepted then let me know what model and I'm sure I can find the equivalent.

martinthornber
Hooked

Thanks for your thoughts, interesting!

I'm back on the provided plusnet router/modem so I haven't got the Cisco stats available (not sure it can provide those stats anyway as the Cisco is quite an old router - 2008 - model WAG54G2). It can create a log file; might give it a go tomorrow when I've got a bit more time.

Martin

aesmith
Pro

That's actually a Linksys product and didn't really change when the Cisco name was added.  I was thinking it was an 877 or some other IOS router, so my suggested command won't be relevant.    Would still be interested to see the figures for comparison.

Are you not getting any assistance from Plusnet at all?   In my opinion you need to be making a fuss, although I accept that its difficult given how hard it is to make contact by phone.

martinthornber
Hooked

ADSL Line was 'reset' today after I called them yesterday which seems to have done the trick (for now). Back to a more reasonable down speed now.. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

aesmith
Pro

Still doesn't look right to be honest.   I don't specially like that 3.8dB noise margin figure, that looks too low.  Is that upstream or downstream?

Plusnet - could you post a KBD snapshot for this line?  Would be interested to see target and actual NM.   50dB line should be getting more like 4.5meg synch speed.

Egbert_Nosh
Hooked

I have had the same issues since Thursday, with downstream no better than 0.2Mbps, but usually worse, and upstream at 0.35Mbps at best. I have raised a ticket with support, providing info, but nobody is responding. I don't have a PlusNet router, but have been using the same router for several years, usually getting up to 4Mbps. My noise margins and attenuations etc suggest it should be much as it was previously. Annoyed.