cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving...

brightspark1
Grafter

Interleaving...

Sorry if this has been covered I am still finding my way around.
Everythin has been working well for approx 8 days then my Broadband started to drop out and the lights were not constant.
I was advised to move the router, change the micro filters and other things but if that did not help I may need an engineer to check everything out and it could incur a £60 charge. Which spoils the offer I joined upon of six months free broadband and trying to save money on the phone line rental and calls.
I did some of the suggestions but it settled down on its own accord so it could have been an external fault and since around 4pm on Thursday all has been well, and it appears ok now but where the lights on the router were steady and constant and a lot of the time they are now...I received an e-mail suggesting that interleaving might be added(which usually only affects people playing games online)which I am not.
It was said that it could take 24 hours to take be installed and upto 5 days to work but if gave any problems to contact and say so...
That e-mail came through the early hours and as yet I don't know if its been added to my service and is working for the good or not. And whether to give it  a chance to see if it improves things but it had as I say settled down before this idea was suggested.
If any lights flash on the router at the minute it is the ethernet cable light and the internet one.
It doesn't seem to be stopping me getting on line or I cannot see any difference in my speeds or connecting to the internet. So should I be worried, do lights flash on and off usually or should they remain constant.
Thanks for any help or advice...
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Interleaving...

You are most unlikely to notice on web sites etc
Interleaving will add a slight delay to response times - perhaps 1/20th of a second (or less).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The Internet and Ethernet lights flashing just indicate network traffic, so no cause for concern.
brightspark1
Grafter

Thank you Un renard, c'est le Mal and Jaggies for replies and putting my mind at rest  Smiley
If all problems could be solved as easily(OT I'll just say it once...Mum passed away four weeks ago  :'()and I have had to look for cheap energy deals, pay funeral costs, look for a good internet and phone line rental/calls deal and now Mum's meagre savings may have to go to probate and I am trying to sort all that out myself too...
And worry about rent, community charges and losing help that I was once entitled too. I'm glad Mum does not know what difficulties I am facing but fingers crossed hopefully it will all turn out fine and I am worrying un-neccesarily.
Thanks again and I hope anything else I mention on the forum will be of a happier nature...
At least through managing to pay for the internet, Telephone and my tv licence upfront hopefully I'll have entertainment for this year and not have to worry for quite some time as long as I can afford the electric.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Mum passed away four weeks ago

Very sorry to hear that.
Mum's meagre savings may have to go to probate and I am trying to sort all that out myself too

Depends how meagre they are, if less than £5000 then all you need is a form from the bank/building society and a solictor to witness your swearing of an oath that you are the legal beneficiary.
Cost about £5-10 and done in a matter of days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. You have my sincere sympathy, I know what you must be going through. I hope you've notified your Local Council about the change in circumstances and do ask them about what other help you may be entitled to. Although probate may seem a bit hairy it's not too difficult, there's plenty of booklets/leaflets to guide you through. Have a quick read here https://www.co-operative.coop/legalservices/probate/Free-Probate-Advice--Support-/Understanding-Prob... . There is also Citizens Advice Bureau you can talk to if you need free help.
Back to your Broadband, let's hope it's settled down, but if you have any more problems just post back.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

People often say that interleaving makes gaming worse, when actually in a lot of cases it can actually improve it. If one is on fast path (no interleaving) than the connection will have more errors as there is no error correction. Now, on shorter lines the errors will be minimal so fast path will improve one's gaming connection. But, on longer lines the connection will have more errors on fast path which will impact one's gaming connection.
So, saying disabling interleaving (which is actually impossible because the lowest form of interleaving is 2 which is called fastpath, by the way) will not always improves one's gaming connection.
brightspark1
Grafter

MisterW,  Anotherone and Gigabit,
Thank you for your advice and concern. I call Mum's savings meagre and whether in work, ill or retired I think(political here)I think the threshold is too low for this day and age before you have help taken away. If they allowed a little more it could mean you could avoid going cap in hand to ask for help and it could mean that you can keep your heating on more. I won't do it here but at other places on the net I have said how thrifty I am having to be now and trying to save on the gas and electric.
However, my internet appears to working fine and I am going to do all I can to enjoy it for this year at least. Its helping keep me sane.
And thank you for information that suggests that interleaving won't be a problem and could actually benefit me...
I am sure that I will learn a lot from this forum and the friends I shall make...