cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving

Ephemeral
Dabbler

Interleaving

I've got a button on my Connection Settings page that allows me to turn Interleaving on or off. I know it's something to do with correcting errors. Will leaving this on hamper my download speeds?
3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Interleaving

If you have a bad line then interleaving helps with your downstream by, as you say correcting errors.
If you have a good stable connection turning off interleaving can reduce your ping times and increase your download speed (handy for gamers).
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Ephemeral
Dabbler

Would Interleaving turn itself off?
The reason I ask is that I have a support issue open at the moment as I'm having lots of disconnections and PN have kindly asked their supplier, which I'm assuming is BT, to turn Interleaving on. Are there different types of interleaving? Is the BT interleaving different from the on I get on my Connection Settings page? When I look at my Connection Settings page it says Interleaving is already on.
The bit that really confuses me is that I had a support issue, for the same reasons, about a month ago, and during that ticket it was also suggested that Interleaving would be turned on. So surely Interleaving should already be on.
*baffled*
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Quote from: Ephemeral
Would Interleaving turn itself off?

If it's set to off it shouldn't do, but by default it's set to auto which is usually on but can turn off if the line is stable enough. It looks like it's been on throughout for yourself, at least for the past couple of weeks that I can see the records for.
The reason I ask is that I have a support issue open at the moment as I'm having lots of disconnections and PN have kindly asked their supplier, which I'm assuming is BT, to turn Interleaving on. Are there different types of interleaving? Is the BT interleaving different from the on I get on my Connection Settings page? When I look at my Connection Settings page it says Interleaving is already on.

No different types, and it's the same one on the connection settings page as we've placed the order on from the fault. The order will have switched it from auto to on.
The bit that really confuses me is that I had a support issue, for the same reasons, about a month ago, and during that ticket it was also suggested that Interleaving would be turned on. So surely Interleaving should already be on.
*baffled*

It's an automatic thing done as part of a fault, it doesn't get in the way or delay the response from the faults team in any way though. There's definitely a fair number of disconnections on the line and as long as they still occur in the master socket with all other items removed from the line then you've proved it's a line fault.