Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving

FIXED
tiffy
Rising Star

Interleaving

I'am on ADSL2+ (by choice) very stable line, maintain synch. for months, only ever re-synch by manual choice or due to power outages, run TP-Link White Box monitor all the time and RouterStats most of daytime hours.

On my last power outage router re-synch a few weeks ago, re-connected with highest ever recorded DS synch rate of 16716 Kbps. with a DS SNRM of avg. 1.9 dB., had been avg. 3.0 dB. prior to that, connection still appeared to be very stable even with the exceptionally low DS SNRM..

Between 06:00 & 07:00 hrs on 3/5/17 I had a router re-synch., certainly not due to a power outage, re-connected at DS synch rate of 16067 Kbps. with an avg. DS SNRM of 3.3 dB., still a very stable connection.

However, I have noted that my latency took a step change on this re-synch. from avg. 20.2 to 32.3 ms., this can clearly be seen from my White Box recorded stat's..
I note that DS & US interleaving are active, DS to depth of 96, US to depth of 4, I believe I was on fast path prior to the re-synch. but can't be 100% sure about that.

My questions are :
What is likely to have caused the re-synch. considering my very stable line history, possibly the very low DS SNRM ?
Why would interleaving be applied in this instance if indeed this is the case which seems likely considering the step change in DS latency ?
Can I / should I request to have fast path restored, I am not a gamer so latency is not a major issue to me ?

I have noted that my DS severe errored seconds have gone to zero, previously were perhaps up to 500 over a 3 month period although never appeared to cause any issues.

Any comments / advice appreciated.

Tiffy

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Interleaving

Testing your line currently shows interleaving as set as auto which means it'll be applied when DLM thinks it'll help your connection.

Bar what the SamKnows box shows do you actually notice any difference when you're using the connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tiffy
Rising Star

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for your very prompt response to my query, much appreciated.

Do I notice any difference with my connection, to be honest no, as I said I am not nor ever likely to be a gamer so the increase in latency is not really an issue to me, I was just curious as to why this occured presumably as a result of interleaving being applied, you have explained why this is likely to have happened.

OK, so I now have a very slightly lower DS synch. connection with the associated slightly higher DS SNRM, however my error rate has certainly improved, zero DS severe ES's. recorded to date.

Under my circumstances, it would likely be best to leave my connection alone as it now is, the very slight decrease in DS synch rate / data speed is not noticable during any activities I use, would you agree ?

Kind regards,

Tiffy

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

If you don't notice any difference then I'd recommend leaving it the way it is.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tiffy
Rising Star

Thanks again Matthew for the explanation and further advice.

Yes, I am quite happy to leave the situation as it is currently, I have had a slight increase in DS synch rate since a power outage re-boot on Tuesday, running at a rock steady avg. 3.0 dB. DS SNRM so no complaints,

Kind regards,

Tiffy