cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving question

edgeways
Grafter

Interleaving question

Can anybody tell me how to get interleaving turned on ?
The help assistant provides for turning off but not on .!
I have had  a stable adsl2 connection for a long time, but recently some sort of line fault or interference is causing sudden drops in SNR ( as shown on routerstats graphs ) and subsequent connection drops. Some reconnections have resulted in speeds of just 0.14 Mb !!  I used to  enjoy a consistentt 5.8  to 6 Mb.
PN support have had the line reset after one IP profile of just 0.17 Mb. which worked for a while but the high error rates continue
with line crashes.
I have noticed from router stats that Interleaving is reported "off"
I wondered if having it turned on might help the high error situation.
By the way there is no noise on the telephone line and the modem connection is as it always was, direct to the master socket ( via filter of course ) with no extension wiring.
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks
Mike (edgeways)
30 REPLIES 30
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Interleaving question

Take the filter out.
Modems will fail if they are connected to a filter.
Filters are for telephones only.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Un
Modems will fail if they are connected to a filter.
Filters are for telephones only.

Please, explain further?

@edgeways Please ignore the above unless your modem/router is plugged into the phone side of the filter. As it's already in the master socket you'd be best running through the wizard at http://faults.plus.net - that will take you through a few tests (some of which have already been done by the sound of it) and raise a ticket through to our faults team once all the questions have been answered. They'll get it sorted out for you.
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks Matt.
Problem continues and is now much worse. Now syncing at just 288Kb but snr 33dB !  ie. practically useless .
Meantime I contacted support via the phone and the agent checked that I had done the necessary tests and passed the issue back to tech support for investigation.
No contact from PN since.
Does tech support work at weekends ?
If not, it is beginning to look like I will be stuck with " dial up" speeds until after Christmas..
Not a good situation when we really need to use the net at this time.
I guess my only option will be to go out and buy a mobile phone Broadband dongle.
Rgds.
Mike (edgeways)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you done a resync recently?
Have you started using any different electrical equipment recently (e.g. Xmas lights)? Keep an eye on routerstats and see if anything corresponds to the bursts of noise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks jelv,for your interest and suggestions.
Unfortunately I have already tried all of your suggestions. Even tried another router.
No change in any electrical appliances or wiring here at all, still occurs with Chrismas lights disconnected .. Have been watching Routerstats intently for a few days. The snr jogs allong smoothly at 6 to 7 dB and then suddenly spikes downward to 2 or zero ! plus lots of error seconds.
There is no obvious pattern to this issue, it seems to occur randomly. At one stage I thought that the problem was occuring at night, when the snr naturaly decreases, but I have found the problem also occurs during the day.
.At first a resync used to restore the normal line speed but now it is stuck at 288 kB whatever I try.
I consider myself fairly experienced in these matters. ( a retired consultant electronic engineer ), but this one has got me beat !
Would have to happen at a time when holidays loom !
I guess if I want some usable broadband over Christmas, I will have to dash out and buy a mobile broadband dongle.
Even that option is a bit iffy as the mobile phone signal here is variable at best - we are located right on the coast, the mobile phones often try to log in to Belgium !
Nevertheless I live in hope that tech support might come up with something soon.
Thanks again jelv,
Regards, Mike (edgeways)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you checked with the neighbours for similar broadband performance?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Estragon
Rising Star

Have you got any old router around, or a neighbour with a spare you could borrow?
Have you checked every cable is securely connected at both ends? That is power, ADSL and ethernets. A tiny partial dislodgement of one can cause this sort of thing. And by check, I mean unplug and replug.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That you are stuck down at 288 suggests to me that you are on 20CN ADSL1 - is that correct?
Could you post the results from a BT diagnostic speed test please.
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks jelv,
I am on 21cn adsl 2+ They upgraded this exchange many months ago. Been fine until this problem.
BT diag. test done yesterday:
Download speed achieved during test - 0.21 Mb
for your connection the acceptable range of speeds 0.1Mbps - 0.25 Mbps
IP profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps
Upstream test.
Upload speed acieved during test was - 0.86 Mbps
Upstream IP profile for your line is 0.83 Mbps.
Thanks for interest and suggestions from other forum members. Re these :-
I have tried a spare router and checked with neighbours - their broadband is fine.
Still no response from PN support !
regards
Mike (edgeways)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As you are on 21CN your IP Profile is set when, and only when, you sync (reboot the router). On 20CN an automatic resync would be triggered after a sufficient period of stability. You therefore need to reboot your router to get your speeds back - but after you get a normal BT IP Profile it will take time for the PN current line speed to catch up (if it doesn't within 12 hours ring them up or post on here if it is during normal weekday working hours).
If you get problems with low speed syncs again I suggest you keep an eye on the noise margin and number of errors. When whatever causes the errors stops your noise margin will go way up and stay pretty stable at the higher level - then is the time to reboot.
NB: Before you do a reboot go in to the router and do a disconnect first. This stops the exchange misinterpreting it as further problems.
edgeways
Grafter

Hi jelv.
Have rebooted ie. switched off the router waited 20 mins and re-powered several times now, even tried a different router but the it still resets at  288 Kbps. As you say on 21CN adsl2+ it should reset at a different line speed but something really odd is happening here. It is behaving like old adsl max with a  very low sync incident.
Maybe an excange equipment fault with my line ?  If it were a line fault or interference issue you would expect the 21CN system to try to resync at a higher speed until drops or high error rates caused a resync at a lower speed but, in this case it just syncs at 288 Kbps.
BTW the phone line is totally noise free and perfect. ! All very frustrating and weird.
Still no contact from support although, over the phone, support said that tech support worked over the weekend ! I had.better go and buy a mobile BB dongle sap.
Rgds
Mike (edgeways)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you post the stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation - as this may point to a capped banded line or a serious line problem (my suspicion is a capped banded line but let's see the data)
Error corrected  Embarrassed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Before I read Jim's post I was thinking that this sounded like it might be a banded line (I suspect Jim might have said capped when he meant banded).
I'm going to add to my advice slightly. If immediately after rebooting once the sync speed is low and the noise margin is high don't do any more reboots. If the exchange sees too many resyncs (especially if you haven't done a disconnect before rebooting) it thinks the line is still unstable and it won't remove the banding.
What is needed now is for the exchange and/or Plusnet to see a long continuous connection of preferably over 24 hours.
edgeways
Grafter

Looks like jelv and oldjim have "hit the nail on the head"
I have just checked the BT list of banded profiles for ADSL 2  and up to 288 Kbs is their very  lowest.
Question is how long will this remain, bearing in mind the forthcoming holiday period and consequent unlikely intervention by PN tech support !
For info, as requested by oldjim, here are the current basic stats.
System Up Time 01:50:23
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 7262 7926            0          492      901      01:49:25
LAN 10M/100M 22765 21526    0        2261      782      01:50:20
WLAN 11M/54M             

ADSL Link Downstream          Upstream
Connection Speed 288 kbps    999 kbps
Line Attenuation 52.5 db          30 3 db
Noise Margin 33.0 db                6.1 db

Rgds Mike (edgeways)