Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving off or Re-train?

Lightning1
Grafter

Interleaving off or Re-train?

Hi,

I'm wondering if switching interleaving(off) on my connection would be at all wise to do(to improve my latency slightly) or have a re-training period to lower the SNR value if my line seems to be stable(or is it that high due to noise on my line?)
Two sets of Router stats since a reboot yesterday to see if its ok for the above ideas^:
Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 19:57:09
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,528
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P---
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 17 / 6,857
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 17 / 52
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 15

Current Set:
Uptime: 0 days, 23:27:24
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,496
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 112 / 1,922
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 112 / 7
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 70 / 7
I don't have much knowledge on these type of things so therefore not sure if those FEC/CRC/HEC errors are just around acceptable or due to interleaving being on.  I know I made a topic before about my slight noise issue but having a BT engineer check things out this Thursday just to be sure(since the noise seemed very faint on the line test), apart from this my line seems to be fine.

Any advice / PlusNet staff help would be appreciated, 
Thankyou in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Interleaving off or Re-train?

Hi Lightning1,
I'm concerned that you're getting occasional disconnects on your line that would get a lot worse if we did disable interleaving for you, that might well be the hiss on the line (does that go off when the router's off? If so it might well be worth trying a different microfilter). I'd say if we can get the noise off the line then you'd be fine on fastpath.
Lightning1
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thankyou for your reply.  The only time I recall a disconnect whereby is wasnt caused by me checking the test sockets etc was sometime yesterday towards the evening. Has there been more of these disconnects that I am unaware of maybe?
I've tried using a few different Microfilters just now and the Quiteline test still has the faint hiss on the line with the router out of play as well. We do have a BT engineer scheduled this Thursday and he may find the fault and remove the noise on the line if its apparent to him (hopefully its found).  If it is, will my SNR automatically lower and correct itself or will this need to be reset at all?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If that's the case it'd definitely be best to leave it till after the engineer visit. It should adjust itself but if there's no change after a couple of days I reckon the best thing will be to reset the training period, possibly removing interleaving too. We should see how the line behaves following the visit before making a decision though I think.
Lightning1
Grafter

Embarrassed

BT Engineer turns up to my house,  messes around with the box outside saying that two main lines were starred or something along those lines. He cuts the downstairs main off and now I have just the one socket upstairs for broadband/phone acting as the main line. 
However this has turned for the worst and my speeds have dramatically dropped down to old peak time Virgin media speeds and the SNR hasnt decreased it has increased by 1.5 dB  from 14>15.5 not fixing my problem at all. 
BT Test Results:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
603 Kbps

0 Kbps 1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 603 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6400 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

My IP Profile used to be 5500 Kbps just this morning before he turned up!.
Router Stats:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:39
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,400
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 99
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Matt or any PlusNet staff could shed some light on to whats just happened with my connection and how I get can this retified ASAP please?  All I wanted was the BT OpenReach engineer to fix the noise on the line but apparently he did the opposite, trashing my current line speed along with it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The BT engineer, while messing about, probably caused a number of disconnections which caused your IP profile to drop to 750kbps
My recommendation would be to ask Plusnet for a retrain which will fix it.
However I would leave it for 3 days first to see if the line is now stable as that will raise the IP profile and only then ask for a retrain
Lightning1
Grafter

Cheesy Speeds/ IP Profile returned to normal pretty quick which I'm pleased with.  Oldjim you had it spot on and thankyou for the information regarding what had happened.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4227 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6400 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
So to my original question on this topic now that the BT Engineer removed any possible noise on the line he could find/hear with the tests, would it now be wise to like you said Matt,  re-train with Interleaving off?  I would honestly like to try this to see if I could see some slight improvements with my line speed / latency even if its by a little.  The diconnects you see in the history have been down to me trying to re-sync for a better connection rate but obviously didn't work.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

assuming that the problem is fixed a retrain will drop the noise margin to 6dB which, with interleaving off, should give a sync speed of 8128kbps on ADSL1 and about twice that on ADSL2+
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Lightning1, from what I can tell interleaving is already off and your downstream SNR is back to 6db?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lightning1
Grafter

Grin Yes it is now thanks very much^