Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving and upload speeds ?

ARone
Grafter

Interleaving and upload speeds ?

question about interleaving
Had a small problem whereby plusnet profile was not matching my BT profile (Bt was 13meg , PLusnet was 7meg)   we seemed to have had a few problems after storms here bt were out pits waterlogged , might have had something to do with dropping but system otherwise since first changeover problems to 21cn has been pretty much always 1 meg upload speed .
For some reason since my request via a ticket about that plusnet have requested interleaving be switched on , Ive no idea why that change when it just seemed like a profile mismatch after some unfortunate drop outs , the results of this although download profile is back to 13meg , upload speed for the first time ever since changeover  is now half what it was as this is more important to me this is very unfortunate , is it a result of interleaving or maybe something else being changed that I didnt request ?
As said upload is important and the change to 1meg a few months back when switched to 21cn was nice , really that had always been pretty stable is this likely to be permanent drop because of this interleaving request on 21cn , if so can I request it reverted to as was ?
13 REPLIES 13
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Interleaving and upload speeds ?

What's the current upload speed? If it's 443/448 it sounds like it's gone back to the default capped rate and you need it uncapped again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
Yes, for some reason it has gone back to 448. I'll place an order to get it uncapped so it should be back to normal tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Done Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Thankyou Ill check and see how it goes.
Just for future reference , why did it go back to the lower speed is it (that change)  connected to the interleaving request by plusnet support ?
as said Id only really requested that the profile was checked as it had dropped to 7mb plusnet end whilst bt was still at my usual 13meg or thereabouts
We did have a few phone problems during storms here in village affected lots so maybe that affected line quality causing a few drops the power cuts didnt help either  , I did see bt lifting a few flooded "pits"too  but all improved now  , does plusnet take a good while to catch up  still after a drop  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My guess is that it was banded which caused the upstream to be capped.
ARone
Grafter

Thank you for your help I hope it sorts it and line gets back to normal again. Smiley
But Im trying to  make sense of this but cant understand what you mean there about banding , why would my line be "banded"
I had major problems when switching to 21CN speed dropped right down to 2mb which turned out to be external or BT setting , but which took a long while to sort out but since then for months Ive had 13mb and 1mb upload  mostly fine and dandy after plusnet:arranged a second "21cn training period" which corrected things definitely a huge jump from 2mb to 13mb   Smiley
I just asked  for a profile check as for some reason when asked  it was  showing 7mb all of a sudden on plusnet and speed checks despite several bt tests still showing 13mb profile and then a setting is requested/changed which makes upload  worse , it doesnt make sense why wasnt the profile just changed plusnet end to match my bt profile , there may have been a drop with BT profile  but couldnt have been for long as Id have noticed that .
What doesnt make sense here is that since the major issues I had earlier this year on changeover to 21cn why was there a need to change to interleaved NOW when line has been fine apart from that sudden drop in profile , I do hope changing this doesnt bring those problems back ,, if the plusnet profile had caught up by the time someone checked my ticket , couldnt  line settings just left alone
Has this setting been requested or put in place as to be truthfull the only problem was that plusnet profile wasnt matching my bt one , does that really require these changes it hadnt done in past a simple request on  forum here was all it took but its hard these days knowing whats best to do , last time I requested that in a thread a moderator informed me it was best to open a ticket .
Its really difficult to know what to do for the best these days , things seem to get complicated  Cheesy wasnt the plusnet and bt profile match supposed to be auto anyway , seems to me if a ticket is opened it then gets more complicated
Sorry for the questions I know it seems long winded but I do wish other settings  were left as was IF the "agent" saw that the profile had "caught up" and were again in-sync already anyway maybe they are seeing something different with my line though  than I see on router but it had seemed fine for ages  Wink
Whats the best procedure in future to request a profile check if it appears stuck and how soon should they be in sync auto knowing these things would help but Ive never been able to get an answer in a ticket and last time I asked in a thread a moderator suggested it was "never" ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
As I say, that was my guess. I'm interested to know myself but there's no real way of knowing. I could probably find out eventually but for the time it would take it's not worth it just to satisfy our curiosity. At least you'll have it back tomorrow.
If you want to check what your plusnet speed is in future just login here.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You mentioned storms and "pits" waterlogged in your opening post which presumably affected your connection at the time.
One of the things that the Exchange DLM may doing when it sees problems with a line is to band the speed, the other is to raise the Target Noise Margin.
seems to me if a ticket is opened it then gets more complicated

Unfortunately sometimes that can happen, perhaps the "agent" didn't see all they should have, or saw something they mis-interpreted.
Jojo's given you the link the check your Current Line speed (Login required) which I've repeated (unless you are a MAFF customer).
It's best to ask on here otherwise. The only thing I've noted reading through, is if you want Interleaving turned off, best to request it here tomorrow when the Uncap order will have completed.
ARone
Grafter

Yes ok , thanks all
questions really were also in regards to some of my family / referrals not just my prob now   for future reference really if profile syncs get stuck etc   Wink
I did also know the plusnet profile page link  though its how I check when I see speed drops occasionally and bt profile is usually first check followed by the plusnet one for all our accounts  ,it was just such a huge difference this time , usually Id just wait and see after few days strange though is that if theres a problem it seems to pick it up  immediately and then takes a while to match the bt after thats recovered  , it must have been a VERY short time bt profile dropped to 7meg if it did   but weve always had a bit of a prob here with water and the pits , always after really heavy rain you can guarantee open reach vans are about with their lifters , phones clear as a bell when dry Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Well whatever was done hasnt seemed to make the situation better , had to rest router early this morning when there was the dns ot problem or whatever plusnets end as couldnt connect and nights is when I needed to be on net so was only way of attempting to see if fault here as no message about outage phoning plusnet.
Anyway straight away after that huge speed loss plusnet dropped to 7 meg again whilst BT is still at  13.216meg and still is now more infyriatimg is that all I asked originally was if plusnet profile could be set to match my BT profile which has always been above 12meg - always since the majir problems on changeover to 21CN .
The interleaving has also dropped my upload speed significantly so I really cannot see why that was necessary , strangely it also seems to have caused more drop outs , I hope we are not returning to the problems earlier this year when it was just a setting again despite all the hassle in changing equipment etc .
Can this profile not be set as said BT here Ive NEVER seen it at 7meg for months and its checked regular , very regular on BT speedtest , it sems to pick up any drops that may be for very short time and then never pick up the recoveries , whatever has been done has now actually left me no better off and with a lower upload speed than Ive enjoyed for many months.
Can the profile just not be set as it used to be , rather than going through all this Huh

bt profile now
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.86 Mbps
Estimated line speed:
   Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.26 Mbps

plusnet profile now...
Current line speed:
   7.6 Mb

Ive never had a bt speedtest show 7.6 since Ive moved from 8meg or the original problems at changeover with the stuck profile which took another training period to rectify  Im unsure whether whatever has been done has achieved  anything other than drop my upload speed the plusnet profile certainly isnt matching bts nowhere near still and yes its quite possible that it will by the time it gets checked but why the huge differance the line certainly seems stable here now since the few probs with storms etc  , if there are any big drops in bt profile they must be very short 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ARone,
I've reset the profile to 13200. I've no time to look into why that happened. I can only presume it was some historic data. Sorry for any trouble it caused you.
Jojo Smiley
ARone
Grafter

Thank you  I think I night have been better not opening a ticket and just posting in other thread  but was advised against tat at the time by a moderator for some reason suggested a ticket was best way  Smiley
Shame it doesnt auto update still sometimes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Things seem to have improved lately, so not sure what happened there Smiley