Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving and Target SNR

scotchwhisky
Grafter

Interleaving and Target SNR

Hi All,
I recently changed from  from Extra to Plusnet Unlimited and at the same time had the pro option removed. This appears to have caused Interleaving to be applied and the Target SNR to be increased from 3dB to 6dB.
This has had the effect of my speed being reduced from about 24 to 19.5 Mbps.  I live next door to the telephone exchange and have a very stable line.  
I have asked to be moved to "Fastpath" which has been now been done and this has increased the speed to 21.6 Mbps but the Target SNR remains at 6dB .
My question is "Do I have to ask PlusNet to have the dslam reset or will it automatically lower the target SNR when it sees the line as very stable" and get me back to 24 Mbps .
Service is ADSL2+ and Router the TG282n.
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Interleaving and Target SNR

Hi there,
Understand what you're saying but it's not possible for an account type change to cause any drops in sync, which would be what caused the DLM system to change the profile and SNR.
Either way things should improve as long as the line remains stable - how long is it since the line was put back on to fastpath?
scotchwhisky
Grafter

I thought that might have been the case.  Just a coincidence I guess.
As to why the dslam  "decided" to switch to interleaved and increase the SNR to 6dB is a mystery.  I've not had any problems that I have been aware off.  It's only been 24 hours since the change to  fastpath and I only have had a handful of CRC errors so the line is pretty stable.
What I am asking is "Will the dslam automatically retrain the line and modify the target SNR margin if it sees a stable line over the next few days or will it require manual intervention?
I'm quite happy with the service but 24Mbps looks a lot better than 21.5Mbps.
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To answer - it should do. In practice however it may not. I'll check it again in a couple of days and if there's been no change we'll do an SNR reset and reduce the SNR manually for you.
scotchwhisky
Grafter

Hi,
Target SNR is now 3dB and I am now happy. Don't know if this happened automatically or somebody assisted.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.231 / 23.453

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 177,58 / 2,43

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 0,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 1,9 / 6,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7,2 / 3,1

Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, glad to hear that's better for you. Let me know if you need any further help.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team