Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving Request

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Ping to bbc.co.uk

I like the analysis there x47c Grin  but that does about sum it up even if it was 12½days uptime. I'm reckoning that there's been one or more significant bursts of noise/interference. Usual questions - had any thunderstorm at the time in question? Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? OR been messing in your Cabinet? Any power dips etc?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thunderstorms...no
Noisy line...no
Call problems...no
OR in the cab...not that I've recently noticed.
Stats from prior to me going unlimited attached.
Edit: just a thought the street lighting on the main road nearby (where the cab is located) is currently undergoing an upgrade with new poles and hi-tech light heads so electrical work has been ongoing for a few weeks....just a thought.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

The errors were certainly a lot less previously and over a longer period of uptime. Maybe the work on this lighting has caused some electrical problems. It could be a case of watch the errors for a while and if they remain consistently low, ask for Interleaving to be turned off or have a line reset. In your case because you do game, I'd probably go for turning of Interleaving  first and see how it went.
Is any of this new street lighting operational yet?
Strat
Community Veteran

Not yet so I'll keep an eye on proceedings.
Thanks Anotherone.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion

Post up some more stats in a couple of days and we can see what the errors are like.
Strat
Community Veteran

I thought I'd have a look at the stats before bed and my BT profile is up at 14.2Mbs Huh
Not surprised considering the SNRM.....attached.
My PN profile is way behind now at 12Mbs.
x47c
Grafter

Now that interleaving has been applied the line is running with far fewer errors than it ever did on fast path
There are obviously no regular spikes or 'events' on the SNR margin graph
So the DLM has dropped your target SNR margin to 3 (was 6)
and pushed up the Sync up to 16097.
Notice how its also increased the interleaving depth - which is a bit abnormal
Once the PN IP profile has been corrected, it will be interesting to see whether you can get the full expected download speed or whether the overhead of the increased interleaving level will be restricting it
I was wondering whether this would happen yesterday..............

Anotherone
Champion

Should I have gone to specsavers, I can't see the SNRM graph
I'm just studying these stats and will post back.
Strat
Community Veteran

PN profile has kicked up to 14.2Mbs...that was quick.
Speed prior to all this.....

Current speed...

Crazy stuff Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Obviously your Delta report got through last night and one of Plusnet's script runs last night upped your Current Line speed  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I am going to refer to what ever caused the drop in sync and the application of Interleaving as "the Event". There is no doubt whatsoever, that something has made conditions on the line worse compared to the previous Fast Path stats back in January (note - the change in product will have no bearing on this).
First just a quick comment on the Upstream - the Errors are very low, certainly not worse, in fact strangely seem better, although there have been more Bit-swaps.
Now the Downstream -
Immediately prior to/at the point of the Event there was a significant increase in errors (rather obviously or DLM wouldn't have acted) but the very large number of SES errors suggest either a prolonged burst of noise/interference or multiple shorter bursts. This resulted in at least an order of magnitude increase in CRC errors and possibly slightly less of an increase in HEC & ES errors. However there seemed to be a decrease in the number of bit swaps which could possibly be interpreted as meaning that the noise was fairly broad spectrum affecting many tones and hence less possibility of swaps. Note that back in January there were only 8 SES errors in just over 19 days!
DLM applied Interleaving at depth 64, not exactly the lowest - not surprisingly CRC, HEC & ES errors were at a lower rate than on Fastpath however initially (over that 2 days of stats) the RS corrected errors were 0.5% of the total RS.
DLM was obviously unhappy about what seems to have been an increasing error rate and has now applied Interleaving at depth 128 & in these later stats over a 7 hour period the RS corrected errors have increased 10 fold and the RS uncorrected errors have increase by just over 15%.
DLM also seems to have lowered the Target SNRM  Crazy

The CRC & HEC errors have increased and the ES errors are an order of magnitude bigger despite the increase in Interleaving depth. There is also significant SES errors compared to the initial Interleaved period when there were none.
Whether the latest stats will show a continuing deterioration or improvement remains to be seen. It seems rather co-incidental that works have been going on to install new street lighting. One has to question whether the trench digging etc has resulted in possible damage to a cable, maybe a power cable, not necessarily phone. Do you know where they were digging the day/time of the Event when you lost sync and Interleaving got applied Strat?
The other possibility I suppose is the proximity of a new electric cable close to a phone cable, but that is hypothesis as the phone cables could be overhead.
Check of course whether you end up with any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone or any problems with incoming or outgoing calls which would indicate a phone line fault.
This also seems to be one of those rarer cases where DLM is not adjusting the line in the most sensible way,  especially if ping time is more important than speed.
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks for the very detailed analysis Anotherone.
I don't have the answer to your question regarding digging. The main road in question is 1 mile in length and work has been going on, albeit sporadically, along it's entirety for a few weeks now.
I've attached a couple of screen shots....the SNRM has been down to 0.9 last night, the lowest I've ever seen.
Anotherone
Champion

Well at least the SES rate has reduced somewhat, but something I should ask which might only marginally affect my comments, what's the difference with the CRC figures in the LH column and those in the RH with your Billion? I'm guessing that the RHS is cumulative since last reboot, those on the left are since the last resync.
The Bits/Tone looks fine - FYI the tones with no bits are standard, if you look above 255 you'll also see tones 291 & 348 without bits.
How's your gaming with Interleaving at this depth? What sort of ping times are you getting now?
Strat
Community Veteran

I believe you are correct about the CRC error counts.

I haven't done any gaming in the last 36 hours as my daughter presented me with a crashed Micro SD card with 1,200 irreplaceable photos to recover Roll_eyes
Edit: I've just done a bit of gaming and it was well down to my usual standard, the connection is fine.
Strat
Community Veteran

I did a router reboot this morning to grab a better SNRM of 3dB (up from 1.5dB).
I think I'll leave interleaving as it is for now.