cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving On or Off

firve
Dabbler

Interleaving On or Off

Switched interleaving off through the Control Panel on my account on the 11th of this month, but it doesn't seem to have worked.  I am still waiting to see any difference to my line.
Is there a definite way to see results of this happening, or do you have to ask the Plusnet Staff.  Perhaps one of the staff could check and tell me if it is off or not, so that I know when to test this....
And why didn't it then work through the control panel???
19 REPLIES 19
scootie
Grafter

Re: Interleaving On or Off

well if your a user of dmt tool that tells you. some routers report if its interleved or not check your router stats.
as for the clicking the interlve button on the member centre i belive this just opens a ticket Undecided . have alook at your ticket history to see if this the case.
another why to see if you have interleaving on or not is to open command prompt and type ( ...    ping bbc.co.uk    ....) or (....    tracert bbc.co.uk    ......)
if you pinging bbc at about 10-20 ms (depending how far you are from london) then gd chance your on fast path
firve
Dabbler

Thanks Asbo Dog.  My pings are currently in the high 40's, so as I suspected, I don't think interleaving has been turned off yet.  I will raise another ticket and see how that goes.
The option to turn interleaving off in the control panel is no longer there, so I will do it through Help and Support.  I've been reading a few other posts on this subject and I think that this option for interleaving off, on the panel does not work properly, as a few others seem to have had the same problem.
You are right about the ticket being raised through the control panel, but I closed it initially, as it said interleaving would be turned off the next day.  Perhaps I shouldn't have...
scootie
Grafter

i was on bbyw3 when i switched on to fast path. i didnt have the member centre button till i upgraded to max preminum. so i just raised a ticket the normal way.
i think as you closed the ticket your self this was never picked up by CS and no order given to BTw.  if you raise ticket now it should be on in the morning
firve
Dabbler

I was given this reply about the initial interleaving being turned off through the control panel...
"We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving off at your request. The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off. If you have problems and want to turn interleaving back on, you will need to use the Broadband Fault Checker at our website - http://faults.plus.net Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn off, but can take up to 5 days to take effect. Kind regards, PlusNet Customer Support"
This is why I closed the ticket, as I thought there was no need to reply...
Just had a reply from CSC from another ticket that I raised after speaking to you, and it says much the same thing.  Should I leave this one open?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yeah I'd leave it open... my (admittedly poor) memory thinks they are done in bulk so if you'd closed before it had been picked up it might not have been actioned.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
firve
Dabbler

Cheers Asbo Dog and Adiewoo, I will leave it open and see if interleaving is turned off in the morning, or the next few days and let you know.  I suppose pinging a site will be the easiest way to tell?
scootie
Grafter

just ploughed through my closed tickets to see what reply i got. stood amazed at the amount of tickets from 1 year
[Support Wizard Journey]
[DSL Max Interleaving]
[Report a Broadband Fault]
[DSL Max Interleaving]
[Additional Information]
please can u turn interleaving off on my line.
thank u

CSC Analyst 9:22pm, Tuesday 10th June 2008
I have now placed the above order and this will complete tomorrow morning.
Kind regards,
Your comment 11:56pm, Wednesday 11th June 2008
question closed by customer on website.
The customer has rated this ticket: Satisfactory
Comment

firve
Dabbler

Is interleaving turned off that quickly, as in the next morning?  And did you have to do a router reset?
I have never had interleaving turned off before, so I don't know what kind of a difference it will make, if any,  Except for instability issues, as it says in the CSC reply.
scootie
Grafter

if your ticket is actioned at the right time of day then normaly it happens in wee hours of the following moring(2am ish i think) your router will resync on its own if it left switched on.
as being stable. example of my line which is 51db atten with around a max sync of 4200kbps day time sync. if i run my line at this rate on fast path at night time when noise levels are high i will get a highish error count. so i run my line at around the 3600 ish sync which i get by doing a sync in the evening when noise is high this sets up the bit tone allaction for condtions at night resulting in less errors ie crc, hec, sf
if your on a gd line ie close to exchange then nothing to worry about at all push that bandwidth to the max.
you also get wee bit higher sync when on fast path.
all an interleved path is at the exchange there is error checking done on your data as it passes and if it finds croupt data packets it works out what the missing data is and resambles the packet. but this takes a bit of time.
i think this will explain it better than me Embarrassed  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm
firve
Dabbler

Cheers Asbo, thanks for the link.  My line is currently synced at 8128 with interleaving on and an attenuation of 19dB.  All I am hoping for is that my pings will improve.  Wish I could get 10-20 ms like you, but I doubt it.
scootie
Grafter

pretty much 100% sure your line will be fine. makes me sick when people post sync rates like that  Cry
well i live about 20 miles south of sheffield and get 16-20ms to bbc. people who live in or close to london(plusnets gateways) can get single figure ms results
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You might well do, ASBO's line is mainly made of bits of old string tied together  Wink  Crazy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

good old sheffield steel in fact. well not so gd for use as phone lines 
my lines rubish but least one end of it connects to somthing of quality .ie not a ps3 Grin
firve
Dabbler

Sorry, didn't mean to brag Sad
And the one end your talking about must be Plusnet's, as on the other end is a xbox Grin
Can I get a monthly reduction for promoting Plusnet?
I'll get my coat!