Did you mean: 

Interleaving Depth 1

andarial
Grafter

Interleaving Depth 1

depth 1?

This means fast path?

If so could a plusnet rep change this to non fastpath please

I just noticed this ,i am usually on interleaved as i am far from the exchange with poor speeds and line quality

I have found an interleaved line helps with my download speed and keeps my line stable(well as stable as can be expected)

Thank You Smiley

xDSL
Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 10.8 7.0
Attenuation (dB) 54.5 31.5
Output Power (dBm) 18.0 12.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 2968 888

Rate (Kbps) 3072 768

K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 97 25
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0.50 0.50
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
Delay (msec) 0.13 0.25
INP (DMT symbol) 0.00 0.00

Super Frames 0 0
Super Frame Errors 1219 291
RS Words 0 0
RS Correctable Errors 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 939 122
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 37787570 0
Data Cells 8820903 0
Bit Errors 0 0

Total ES 95 103
Total SES 21 0
Total UAS 141 120
18 REPLIES 18
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Interleaving Depth 1

The question I would focus on here is why is the SNRM so high?  That rather points to a more fundamental problem.  10.8dB is neither one thing or another; it somewhat suggests the presence of electrical noise.  It ought to be 9dB or 12dB.  This variation could down to the router having last been restarted / resynched during the hours of darkness.  Can you determine when the router last resynch'd?  Upping interleaving is a sticking plaster...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andarial
Grafter

SNR is tweaked on a billion 7800 dxl adsl router

Using default snr it is a lot higher around 19 and speeds are under 200k download

I have always `had` to tweak to get any sort of `acceptable`speed  Sad

SNR was reset around xmas by plusnet and lasted for a month or so

My question mainly is     is a interleave setting of 1 fastpath?as I believe I would get a better/more stable connection with interleaving on?or am I wrong? Smiley

Anyway did a quiet-line test just now,no discernible noise/hiss or crackling

I am over 4 miles from the exchange and 2 miles from the cab so any sort of increase ,even a few kb is the difference between being able to surf or getting so ticked off with the waiting that i give up and turn pc off lol

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's interesting.  The attenuation suggest the line is just 4km long and should deliver 3.9Mbps.

A SNRM of 19dB suggests very heavy handed DLM activity.  I fear that the adjustment being applied by the router might be masking Plusnet's assessment of the issue.

Just to confirm the reported attenuation, what do the following say about the speed expectations for your line...

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andarial
Grafter

My exchange is fibre enabled but not my cab

It has been under review for the past 2-3 years.Am out in the sticks here so no wireless or cable options

I could reset router(actually i rotate 3 different`good` routers every few months)to try to keep a better dl speed

Do you think resetting my router to default might help?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Setting the router to "keep its mitts off" the SNRM will give an untainted view of what is happening here.

Looking at the first line speed prediction link above would confirm the line length.  If the line length is much longer than 4km, one might have to consider that the router is mis-assessing the attenuation and could suggest other issues.

I get a bit uncomfortable when the different metrics do not "stack-up".

andarial
Grafter

xDSL
Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 16.6 7.0
Attenuation (dB) 55.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm) 17.4 13.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 4348 860
Rate (Kbps) 2016 736
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 64 24
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 0.50 0.50
D (interleaver depth) 1 1
Delay (msec) 0.13 0.25
INP (DMT symbol) 0.00 0.00
Super Frames 0 0
Super Frame Errors 22 7
RS Words 0 0
RS Correctable Errors 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 30 1
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 505503 0
Data Cells 3235 0
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 19 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 54 54

router now reset to defaults

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm 16.6dB immediately after a restart - that's a darned odd number - it should be 15dB or 18dB (target SNRM values are in multiples of 3dB).

For the reported attenuation, this line is doing 50% of expectation DS.  It is noteworthy that US is fairly good for the line length.

Is the router connected to the master socket?  Are there any extension sockets or phone wires?

andarial
Grafter

Direct into master socket

No extensions

Best speeds i have ever seen is when the line is rest/i.e. in first 10 days of testing etc when it went up to the heady speeds of 4000 kbps.But after settling down it will stay at between 2-3 if i am lucky

Will leave this router at default for a week or so and see how this progresses

Thank You for your help

Good evening Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, downloading Router Stats (see link below) and setting up 24x7 monitoring will significantly illuminate what is happening here.

4Mbps is about what I would expect for your line.  The fact that it degrades as you describe rather suggests that there might be a REIN issue.  These can be difficult to identify.  Thankfully your router is on the list supported by Router Stats lite.  It might also work with the full product which has some really useful features.

If you fancy giving that ago, there are a couple of us around here who can assist with the configuration.

If you do not feel up to that level of fiddling, an you please just keep and eye on the DS SNRM figure please.  I'm looking for marked variability - it is the most likely reason why the speed decays from 4Mbps.

We might need PlusNet to perform a SNRM reset (again) to force the issue which needs examination.

andarial
Grafter

How many days worth of logs should i post?

Line has been stable so far no drops or increases

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Graph which is of most interest is the DS SNRM.

It is not so much how many days to post, but is there something of interest?  If its at a steady (say) 6dB decreasing a little at dusk and increasing again at dawn, then there's nothing of interest.

If you are staying at 4Mbps, then it is possible that you have an intermittent line issue.  You'll just have to keep watching.  I used to run RouertStats constantly, on the basis that IF there was an event, I'd have a record of it.  there is nothing worse than stopping your monitoring, only for the issue to occur a short while afterwards.

andarial
Grafter

2016 down    snr 16.8

736 up         snr 7

attn 55

super frame errors 281255 down  

super frame errors up 1676

hec errors down 116863

hec errors up 753

snr does not change much overnight lwest it has been since sunday is 13

but interleave is still at 1

any advice? Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The SNRM is still too high.

Error counts without the connection duration are a little meaning less.  Its the rate of error which is significant, not the number at any particular time.

Without a SNRM reset, it is going to be difficult to gather insight into what's happening.  You could try a router reset (with routerstats running) and see what happens on synch start-up.  Really need to see what the initial SNRM is.  I'm also wondering if this line is banded.

This issue need CRT assistance!

andarial
Grafter

Just reset router

SNR Margin (dB) 15.0 7.0
Attenuation (dB) 55.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm) 17.6 12.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 2092 888
Rate (Kbps) 2208 768