Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference maybe?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Interference maybe?

Possibly a silly question, but I'm assuming you didn't get charged for any of the 5 openreach engineer visits that didn't find anything wrong?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It depends if they didn't find the problem at the appointment you will be charged. BUT If they find the fault they will probably reimburse your money. It is £50 per appointment. 
I suggest you check with Plusnet, for futher info.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
Possibly a silly question, but I'm assuming you didn't get charged for any of the 5 openreach engineer visits that didn't find anything wrong?

Oh no, defo no charge.
The fault is outside, they know it's there, they just don't seem able to track it down!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if they confirmed there's a fault but "failed to find it"
odds are they swapped you onto a spare line 18 months ago which *fixed the problem*, chances are they know exactly what the problem is (hard to reach high res joint or poor quality cable they don't want to replace) and so whilst there coming round messing about running pulse modulation tests there unable to fix the problem and instead are trying to adjust the error margin at the dslam end so it isn't forcing the signal loss to propagate into a dropped connection which causes the speed crash (that recovers over time) or they are setting a static snr profile at the dslam  which is being remotely reset when they do a maint cycle and then brings back the problem every so often ...
there's a lot of tricks they go through before finally replacing defunct cable's between  customer premises and the cabinet or exchange, often only taking that step once enough complaints are had a business makes a complaint or the 50 year timed replacement date is up (because its too expensive to replace something when you don't absolutely have to ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
syates
Grafter

@nanotm
Wow! thanks for this.  I thought I was the only one that felt they were being [Censored] about by Plusnet and BT.  My line has been causing problems for 10 months now, and we have had 9 Openreach Engineers out.   Due to the line erroring and dropping more in cold and wet weather I am still convinced that it is a physical fault on the line.
PLusnet, however, see the line dropping daily and suffering from lag spikes as acceptable and refuse to pressure BT to do anything... What you have describe above is exactly the "customer service" experience I am getting.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Edit: added in who the reply and thanks were aimed at, since the moderator removed the quoted text and made it unclear.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
if they confirmed there's a fault but "failed to find it"

That is exactly what is happening with me.
PlusNet have been pushing for a lift and shift, BTOR are popping out and tidying the connections then going again.
BTOR have been again today, it was the same guy who lied to me about work he had completed a few weeks ago.
Anyway, he went up the pole, then popped into the exchange, swapped pairs, come back, tested, said 'All clear'  despite not being able to run the bt speedtest for 10 minutes, because apparantly the broadband needed to settle...  Shocked
I asked him if he was confident he had fixed it, he said 'Wait and see' and left.
I am a little worried though, my router has sync'd 2 meg slower than before.
Now:
  Type Interleave Path
  Status Show Time
  Downstream Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps) 15956 1244
  Noise Margin (dB) 2.5 5.9
  Attenuation (dB) 26.3 14.5
  Output power(dbm) 20.3 12.6

Before:
ADSL
  Type  Interleave Path
  Status  Show Time
      Downstream  Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps)  17602  1230
  Noise Margin (dB)  2.5  6.2
  Attenuation (dB)  25.8  14.0
  Output power(dbm)  20.2  12.2

Any way, I guess I will have to wait and see.
krs360
Grafter

Ever heard of "REIN"?
I had a really bad case of this in a previous property, never found out the cause of it in the end, even with BTOR @ my house using a petrol generator to run the power.
My connection would consistantly drop at the same time every day, over and over and over..
Came to the conclusion there was something around the property/next door which was on a timer and wasn't working correctly (maybe even street lights). BTOR had a piece of equipment which would pick up signals @ the same frequency as ADSL, (the same thing can be achieved through an old radio/pointing it toward different sources, VERY directional though - think it kinda almost gave a heart beat sound) - ended up moving out of the property before investigation finished. I feel your pain, it annoyed me no end.
Check out: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm
Just as another idea if all else fails.
Edit - Are the slow speeds/disconnections at the same time each day? or within a certain time period?
Devonian
Grafter

They sent a rein engineer a couple of weeks back.  He didn't find anything unfortunately.
I have tried the radio trick to, with no avail.
The problems are completely random, with exception to saturdays where every morning the problem is evident.
I have just done a quiet line test, and there is now back ground static, which wasn't there before the engineer visit., however I will by a wired phone tomorrow and double check because I am using a dect at the moment.
This is never ending!
krs360
Grafter

That sucks, I know in my case they took the BThomehub and tested it from the DP and  CAB points going up the road, the problem persisted - it may not even be a local issue (at least, that's how it seemed in my case.)
EDIT: Was he there when the connection was bad?
deathtrap
Grafter

What ever the cause was,it must have been  somewhere along the route of the E side cable ,could of been electrical induction ,which can be a common problem, BT won't want to be opening up those pressurised cables, or  re locating them any-time soon Although one possible solution would be FTTC if the problem is on the e'side if that is available to you
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@dev
if your new connection is slower but stable then whilst the bandwidth will be slightly lower for you your in a better situation.
as you rightly say dect is useless for quiet  line testing,
when you do perform the quiet line test first do it with everything connected
then if that was noisy unplug all telephony equipment, unscrew the face plate then connect to the test socket (no adsl filters or anything in the connections) of the master phone point and do it.
if you get noise through that (because that's how PlusNet will want the test doing anyhow) then there is a line fault, if its clear but noisy when all your stuff is connected test with each piece connected to see which one is causing the problem.

@krrs360,
with REIN induced problems that have a high presence the BTOR's little modulation tester will detect it as interference  when testing the line,  with cable faults caused by primarily poor quality materials or damage it picks them up as line error's, the real proof of the pudding for me when I had the problem over a protracted period was when they (because either the water or gas main replacement workers put a digger bucket through the cable) replaced all the lines with new stuff the problem was gone and my connection speed went from barely managing 5 meg to being over 8meg with zero problems for the following 12 months,now i'm glad to say i'm on fiber and no longer suffereing the problem of having 6 people all trying to use the internet causing major lag spikes whilst playing games Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you