cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network connection

JamesM
Grafter

Intel 82579V Gigabit Network connection

I recently built a new computer, and the Network adapter is as above, I have looked into the properties and it is confusing to say the least.
There is gigabit master/slave mode, interrupt moderation, Jumbo packet, large send offload ipv4 and ipv6, adaptive interframe spacing, flow control, receive buffers, transmit buffers, interrupt moderation rate, Priority and VLAN, Receive side scaling, receive slide scaling queues, TCP/IP offloading options, ipv4 checksum offload, TCP Checksum Offload ipv4 and ipv6, UDP Checksum ipv4 and ipv6, the list goes on.
Are these OK to be left at Default, or could any of these settings be affecting my connection whilst gaming.
Thanks for reading.
7 REPLIES 7
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network connection

The problems you are having should be related to those settings if you haven't fiddled with them.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
JamesM
Grafter

You have stumped me there Kelly,  Huh I take it that should read shouldn't ?
I have blagged a BTHH 2 so if I have had a SNRM reset how long before I can try the BTHH ?
Cheers mate.
jim:quote
jimbof
Grafter

Interrupt moderation can cause increased latency and reduced throughput in auto, but changing it requires careful consideration as if you disable it you get more interrupts generated in your system, which can be problematic for some usages.
It should be noted that many of the tweaks you would apply at the ethernet adapter level are for very high performance situations - and obviously your broadband compared to full rate gigabit is going to be much more of a bottleneck, so you might not see improvements of any real significance.
Microsoft have a page discussing low latency network tuning here, it is quite techy though!:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574151.aspx#bkmk_low
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: JamesM
Quote from: Kelly
The problems you are having should be related to those settings if you haven't fiddled with them.

You have stumped me there Kelly,  Huh I take it that should read shouldn't ?
I have blagged a BTHH 2 so if I have had a SNRM reset how long before I can try the BTHH ?
Cheers mate.

Sorry, yeah, that should have been shouldn't.
Kelly Dorset
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Kelly and jimbof, it is good to know that I don't have to mess with the settings (They are still at default).
Would it be ok to try the BTHH or does the SRNM reset take the 10 days to retrain my line ?
Kelly
Hero

As I understand it, gracefully disconnect the line should be fine?  I'll bow to the more informed on here though!
Kelly Dorset
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks for the link jimbof, I will have a read through it.