Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Bandwidth (for TV)

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Insufficient Bandwidth (for TV)

I have a comparatively new Sony TV which is connected directly to the internet.  It would seem to be impossible

to use iPlayer, Netfix etc as little happens and it comes up with the message "insufficient bandwidth".

Using wifi on another TV with an old iPad Mini and Apple TV connection everything works perfectly without hesitation. The connection is ADSL+ 10Mbs.

I am baffled by why it works with wifi and not with a cable connection on the other TV.

Am I missing something or are built in TV apps not up to the job?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Insufficient Bandwidth (for TV)

@TeeGee 

You say that you are on 'ADSL 10Mbps' but I suspect that this is the service that you are describing. What speed do you actually get if you use a speedtest app such as Ookla? You can compare this with what your actual service limits are by putting your phone number in to the btw adsl checker. I can't post a link as there is an issue with this forum today, just do a google search for it. Come back with the results.

The problem is probably that your TV is trying and failing to download in high definition rather than low which works on your small devices.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I am actually getting 10Mbs according to the BTW speed tester. TV is set to SD and iPad does 720p. I do intend to up my speed at contract renewal but not had any probs previously. Even this phone handles a quality stream.
Baldrick1

@TeeGee 

I have read that there can be a problem using some DNS servers. If you do a google search for changing the DNS IP address on the Sony web site you will find instructions on how to change the TV to use the google ones of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I'm sorry I can't send the link, this forum is on the blink and is not accepting the paste command.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@TeeGee 

This is the link I alluded to:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00125843

Moderator and Customer

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1 

Many thanks for that link I will give it a go but probably not until Monday (three family birthdays this weekend!).

In this day and age I really do not know why things cannot work with "defaults".

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Previus suggestions did not make any difference so the only alternative was the usual internet search. Full Factory Reset provided the answer and at the cost of losing all settings and logins restored IPlayer, Netflix etc to their full glory.

This left me very irritated that there was nothing the TV could or would do to highlight an error and its solution.

As I need another TV replacement shortly I think that Sony have convinced me to try Panasonic!  Hey ho....