Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing new router - dreaded DLM!

shure
Grafter

Installing new router - dreaded DLM!

Hi all,
I'm going to be installing my new router (Asus RT-N66u) next Wednesday / Thursday, while at the same time pressing my old one (DG834PN) into service as a modem only on my superfast 8Mb line.  With me being a particular favourite of Murphy and his pesky legislation I don't anticipate this going smoothly first time and hence will require more than a couple of reboots and connections. I'm very worried that this will attract the dreaded DLM fairy and and as a result after installation will be the proud owner of a gleaming new router while the family will be shouting at me for crippling their internet.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  Cry
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Installing new router - dreaded DLM!

I always set up my routers offline before hooking them up to the live system - saves having to constantly reboot and risk DLM kicking in every time you make a change.
shure
Grafter

But I'll have to connect to get updates (and reboot after that), won't I?  And I'm hoping there won't be any issues with putting the Netgear in Bridge mode but Lady Luck invariable kicks sand in my face.  How many times do you have to reconnect before DLM kicks in usually?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I think you'd be fine with this. DLM would probably make changes after 3 or 4 disconnects.
shure
Grafter

OK, thanks.  Keep my fingers crossed!
BTW, how will I know?  Any way to tell (apart from slower speeds, which could be something else of course!)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, to be sure, post back here once you've done it and I'll take a look for you Smiley
shure
Grafter

will do.  Thanks! Smiley
shure
Grafter

Hi Chris,
all set up now.  Had to disconnect a few times as it put up a fight, but I won in the end Smiley
Would you check for me please?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I've just checked for you and DLM hasn't taken any action so you're all good! Smiley
shure
Grafter

That's great.  Many thanks!