cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing new BT Master socket and rewiring

mal0z
Grafter

Installing new BT Master socket and rewiring

A friend has PN B/B - but it is not working as fast as it ought, and we suspect it is the house wiring.
It is an older property with no BT Master socket - just sockets wired on the very old style junction boxes, and the wiring is very untidy.
I've suggested getting BT in to install a new master socket and re terminate and check the extension wiring.
Rather than go through the hassle of phoning BT , and their Indian call  centres - is this something Plusnet could do on his behalf ??.
What would be the cost.
thanks
Mal
20 REPLIES 20
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Installing new BT Master socket and rewiring

it very expensive Mal, they will do it for free if you have a problem though and some "priority" customers can get it for free, i.e. they have a medical problem that requires a phone line
mal0z
Grafter

I know it's expensive Pierre, I did get a quote many months ago for someone else, but then it wasn't done for various reasons. Even then it took about 10 calls to BT to find someone who understood.
I think this situation is actually very shocking - and anti competitive. I know about the safety issue, but with electricty and gas - you don't have to have the electricity company or gas company do a very similar job.
Not sure how much the electricity companies charge to replace the master fuse for example.
It's only a 20 minute job to put in a master socket for goodness sake.
It's government / ofcomm rview is long overdue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Interesting question - does the BT responsibility stop at the junction box or the first socket
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not strictly true about gas Mal, it is illegal to do your own gas work, it has to be a Registered Corgi Fitter and nearly as bad with electrics, you can do some work but not much
mal0z
Grafter

Oh yes I know - but you can get any corgi registered gas fitter or time served and qualified electrician.
Crossed that bridge - although I was qualified to design, specify and work on high powered transmitters, with 20KV circuits, 400V three phase supplies, I was not allowed to rewire a 240V mains socket !!!. or in some instances change a light bulb.!!
I designed,  planned and supervised the installation of a complete oil platform telephone system, complete with flame proof armoured cable, junction boxes and phonesetc etc  for work in gas areas, yet when I got home I couldn't legally instal a telephone extension in the house.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
not strictly true about gas Mal, it is illegal to do your own gas work, it has to be a Registered Corgi Fitter and nearly as bad with electrics, you can do some work but not much

Believe you can do your own gas work but if you employ a person to do it they have to be corgi registered.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Given your background, Mal, you'd obviously do a very good installation. Why not just do it - who's to know?  Wink
Technically it's against BT rules, but not AFAIK against the law of the land.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
itsme
Grafter

I would go ahead and fit the master socket yourself. I believe that BT does not allow it is to safe guard their employee's working in the exchanges in case some moron wire it up to the mains.
mal0z
Grafter

I might have done 15 years ago, but I can't find my Krone IDC tool, and it was one of those quality ones  Sad :(- not the little plastic tools 
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

OK, but a new tool is far cheaper than what BT will charge!
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I am sure I saw a post a while ago, that pointed to a BT price list and the cost of installing a master socket, and it wasnt that expensive??  Also if there is any problem with the connection, such as crackling, BT will fit a master as a matter of course. Ghis happened with me, only had a junction box on the window sill, going to a normal BT socket, no NTE5, BT fitted one as part of a fault finding process.  Will have a look for that linky.
Edit... Knew I had seen it somewhere, not sure if there is a call out with this though  http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Exch_Lines_boo/0002_d0e63.htm#0002-d0e63
This is the forum post it came from  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69349.16.html
Hope it helps.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: itsme
some moron wire it up to the mains.

If it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious Grin Sorry but I can't help but laugh at the thought of it. Grin 13amp inline fuse on your phone line....
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pd
Grafter

A couple of years ago I picked up an old phone from a car boot which had a length of two core cable and a 2 pin mains plug on it.  I guess somebody must at one time have had a 2 pin socket as an extension from their phone line.  Shocked
mal0z
Grafter

many thanks Penfold - I rcall the conversation now. I hadn't bookmarked ( have now )
That was when I had someone else asking me.
Looks like we will see if there is a telephone line "fault"
But the answers I wanted was there - PN can't get it done.
thanks again all.
Mal